Sign in to follow this  
cometgoldielover

Culling

For the small little ones that are deformed or not growing at all, I will suck them up using an airline and discard into the drain (maybe a bit cruel but they are just too small to use other methods). You nay feed them to the bigger goldies but this will be too cruel to see them "eaten alive". I think the less cruel method is to freeze them so that they die peacefully by putting them in a mug of cold water with ice in it.

Cheers........

I think the fastest death is by feeding it to the parents, sure it seems cruel but it's nature, of course this is when the fry still fits in the parent's mouth.

BTW I love your signature quote

My head agrees with you maniacholic. This would seem to be natures way. But now that I have fry I just don't know if I can do any of these options :crp

my choice if you can't cull, give away, or atleast try to sell em on aquabids or places like that. as people actually like raising fries that come from two different types of goldies.

I'll wait and see how many healthy ones I have. I'll try to find homes for them unless of course I can talk my hubby into about 4 more aquariums :rofl

So far they are all still alive. But, its just the 1st day. It would be nice if I don't have to cull any of them.

Edited by Queenie

Guest Kameira

I would never use the clove oil method.

It poisons them, and it puts them through A LOT of pain. I could never bring myself to do that. I'd rather let Momma handle her kids... fish eat fish world... :crp

Actually no, oil of cloves is the most "pain free" method. It's actually what fish vets use to put their patients asleep before surgery. Putting them to death with clove oil is just an overdose of the anesthetic which puts them to sleep and lets them drift off peacefully.

Some people use vodka to help the oil mix with the water, and that's cruel... alcohol burns!

Clove oil is probably the most humane way.

I only found out recentlythat the vodka is harmful, and am debating whether or not to tell the housemate; for future reference.

He was so upset when he had to anaesthetise his bristlenose- I don't really want him to know that he inadvertantly caused it pain