Sign in to follow this  
cometgoldielover

Wal-mart Fishies

Sorry to hear about your fishies :cry1 I always buy my fish at the lfs. I dont go to big chain stores.I have been pretty lucky, as none of them have died. Other people havent had much luck with nnnnnn fish, from reading some posts on this forum :( I hope the fish you have now stay happy and healthy :heart

Im positive it had happend to other people,nooppee don't take good care of there fish there almost always sick :( i personaly find it the wrong place to buy fish.

I've only bought fish from there twice. Four comets about 2 months ago(2 died) and 6 f/w angels(my died bought them for me-he doesn't like spending money.) All died less than a week later. Never again. I have hopefully learned my lesson.

Do you know how they died? If it was a type of disease, it may be worth sterilising the tank & filters and treating the fish for prevention :unsure:

I have no idea. But That was a while ago and all is well. I keep new fish seperate until I know all is well. The only time I had a sick fish :ill was my black moore with ich. He got well. As far as I could tell they were fine then just poof- dead. The tank at nooppee was the cleanest I've ever seen it, and they actually lived this long so I'm hoping they'll live out there lives. :please

yea sad to say but i have gotten allmy fish from ither mmm or wall mart and all the ones that have lived fairly long have been from nnnnnn. The key is to get them as soon as that shippment is ready for sale, so that the nnnnnn staff can screw them up ya know. If you have a clean and well maintained tank then ... you should be fine

CHeers

nnnnnn is notorious for neglecting their fish. Even though nnnnnn and mmm have the same fish supplier, nnnnnn only offers a 72 hour guarantee on theirs..... gee? could that be because they don't care for them? I have 3 fish that came from nnnnnn, and all 3 are still alive.... 2 are feeders, and one is a lionchu. They were all "rescues" because I fell in love with them cuz they were so cute.

My advice to anyone is to stay away from nnnnnn's fish, unless that fish is "calling" you, and you're prepared to put it in quarantine and treat if for possibly a good length of time for whatever ailments it has.

I wish you luck with your remaining fish!!!

theres no lfs here so i go to mmm.... 30minute drive. BOO... im going to chinatown on sunday.. going to see what fish they got. :D

Guest MonknSharona

I have to say that I am often horrified by the care the fish receive at our local nnnnnn. Pretty much every tank has dead fish or fish covered with Ich. I've never purchased my goldies from there but I have gotten a few bettas there; I'll be pushing my cart down the isle, way down from the pet department and I'll see one all the way down there swimming around in his little cup and he just draws me to him. :D So, I have to get the bettas to try and save them. They are so sad in their little cups and I worry that they will only either die, or get a home where they go somewhere where it won't be much better. Anyway, the bettas have not died and they have doubled in size since I got them. But I have always been weary of getting any of the other fish.

The bad thing about our lfs is that they recommend such poor care (tiny tanks, bad food, etc.). The thing about our nnnnnn is that the staff will outright tell you, "I have no idea".... I don't know which is worse. :blink:

-Faith

I went to petcetera yesterday and I found 6 dead goldies plus my b/f found another 5 dead goldies. I also found one ryukin with this gross white and black bug(?) on his tail. Poor buddie. I wanted to take him cuz the woman I told didn't seem to care. Then today I went to nooppee and there were no bettas left. <_< I won't say what else cuz everyone else already knows their conditions. I also checked out PJ pets and in their feeder tanks there were many beautiful comets but then I saw about 10-12 dead ones stuck to the filter intake tubes. :cry Then there were more floating. I couldn't even look any more. So now I don't think I'll be going to that petcetera any more.(Or PJs)

its really shotty what the big suppliers do to their fish and they should do better. BUt i was thinking about it and its got to be a chore to keep up with that big of shipments ya know, so say 5-10 dead out of a shipment of 250 or something isan't bad ya know. But then i also say that they should stop getting the big shipments but un till they do only... i don' t know just don't buy your fish from there? or only get a fish right after the get there so the nnnnnn can'ts screw with them.

WARNING: GRAFFIC

I went to a chain store (which shall remain nameless, not nooppee) today, and it was terrible! The feeder tanks were horribly overstocked (not unusual), and many dead. The tank was uncovered, and many were jumping out onto the floor! There were several that had been walked on and crushed, and many more just flopping about. I picked up 4 I saw, and put them back in the tank. A worker walked by and quiped "It happens all the time... I guess they think they are better off"

:madrant

I asked for manager, and complained to a brick wall it seemed, finally said I wouldn't shop there anymore. They act like it doesn't matter to lose a customer :angry: "It's just feeder fish"

Sorry, but my favorite fish is a "feeder" I am SOO mad!!

Robin

I got three fish at vvvv. The salesperson was extremely helpful in testing our water, and explaining about pH, and chlorine and all the other stuff. I've had my fish for weeks now, and they are living. The vvvv I went to had a 14 day money back guarantee. Thats a lot better than 72 hours now, isnt it?

Oh and I'm not sure about the condition of the other fish that they were selling. They all seemed pretty healthy but it was crowded in the little...box thing.

I called a "Fish" store, and asked how large of a tank I would need for three comets. Just to see how knowledgable they are. It should have been a simple answer if you work in a "fish" store. She said "Ten gallons should do. Goldfish aren't known to get big" :rofl Then:"But you could even use a five gallon if you were short on cash" :o I couldn't believe what I just heard. Then I called another store and they told me that I should use a 33 gallon AT LEAST. Maybe the manager was more informed but I think his employees should be too.

The only place around here to get fish is nooppee. Ive gotten several fishies over the years, and its 60/40 chance they will die (based on my experience) I had 2 moors, one died about a month later, after a prolonged illness, the other lived for 4 months and was seemingly healthy till one day it just died. I also got a swordtail, that died 2 hours later, and a pleco, that lasted a week, a colbalt blue cichlid hybrid, who is still kicking at 5 months, and my red and white fantail, Mopy, who lived through the worst, so i think i will have her for a while to come.

My nooppee is real good with their fish. I've bought fish there and have survived, except one that got caught between the filter and the glass :(:( ...well..they are a little overstocked but that is because they sell their fish quickly and are there for only a little bit of time..and they offer a 90 day gurantee in my store... I think it has a bad rep..