Fin Rot *maybe

lepperchan

hey guys,

I have a 10 gallon tank with a 3 inch ranchu and a 3 inch comet (includeing tail) and i believe the comet is starting to get fin rot<i think>. the last rill type thingy on the fin is seperating from the rest. I do weekly water changes of 20% and have not had a problem since i got the tan cycled and all. I know that its a bit crowded but they are just so much active when there is more then one, i think it is nice for them to have a buddy, ya know. But yea so i keep up on my fish regularly so i think i am getting this in its very beggning stages, so i am mildly treating it, don't want to stress out the fish any more then i have to. I am useing jungle brand bacterial tank buddies(fizzy kind) with out removing the "sick" fish. It does not say that it is harmful to other fish * cross fingers* or plants(i love my plants) so i thought this would be the best plan of action to get my fish tip top again... Any suggestions? is Fin rot contagious? should i separate the fish? Does this sound like a good "hopefull" solution?

Any reply or suggestion is really appertiated(besides the fact that i should get a new tank)

Cheers

Daniel Giudici

am wondering myself on the fin rot, mine has had frayed fins now for over a month, he doesn't look sickly, meets me at the top of the tank every morning, is very active, my other one doesn't have it. I noticed it when I moved the bigger one into the tank, he was fine before, he has very slight fraying on his dorsel and smaller bottom fins, his tail fin has it the most almost a ripped looking affect, I read this site for fin rot but am not sure if this fits the description. there is no white edge around the fraying part..could use the help myself, my tank is all cycled and he has made it through it all, I also have snails so if I need to do a treatment of any kind should I remove the snails?

thanks

Have you (both) done any water quality tests lately? Ammonia, nitrIte, pH and in this case, nitrAte. Sometimes, poor water quality can result in frayed fins especially prolonged exposure to high level of nitrAte. Not to mention that a normal healthy fish can fight off most bacterial invaders but a stressed fish is the first to get sick as their defences are weakened. As the old saying goes, "fix the water, fix the fish". It is best to check the water first, sort out any water problems and then go from there rather than reach for meds first. Just MHO. :)

my test readings are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, only a trace of nitrates, he is feeding well and is quite active, other than for his tail not looking too nice you wouldn't know anything. I understand that there fins grow back, I don't think my bigger one is picking on him, I do watch them, but it is funny I began to notice it after I put the bigger one in there, my water is crystal clear too. I faithly do water changes, 25%-30%. Am very conscience in that department, they are like my babies :D

appreciate any suggestions

yea i am going to do a complete watter/ tank cleaning today i think, finaly have got some time now that finals are almost over... will give me a good break from studying:) so yea hopefully that will get them back in order ya know. But how will i be able to tell if he is better. like how long will it take for is fin to get back to normal?

Cheers

Kit: I'm a bit worried about the big fish having a go at the little one. The fin damages sound more like nips from another fish. If you like, you can try a board spectrum antibiotics but only do one course and then do water changes to remove the antibiotics. You don't want to expose them to antibiotics for no reason or for too long. It can lead to drug resistant bugs.

lepper: please be careful if you are going to do a major clean out of the tank. Lots of nasty things live under the gravel and inside hollow ornaments. Stirring them up can lead to big problems and fish kill. If you are going to really give it a top to bottom clean, relocate the fish to a bucket of clean dechlor water and then do the job and then make sure you rinse the tank out thorougly until you can smell and anything other than fresh water. Otherwise, just vacuum the gravel carefully and make sure all the crud and yucky water are sucked out at the same time. You realise that you need to be careful with the filter to make sure you don't end up having to cycle the tank again. Have fun! :D

Fins will regrow if the damage is not too great. Under good condition it can take only days but it can take weeks if the condition is marginal.

cool yea

i am doing the change now...

i moved all my fish to seperate tanks... kinda bad i don't have anything bigger then a gallon so im gonna have to make this quick... but yea ... i have a bio wheel so hopefully alot of the good bio bugs are still chillen in that and my drift wood

... but yea the damage is not to seveire on his fin but i have not had any luck with fish most times. im just gonna be extra carefull....

Thanks for you help...

Cheers