Mealworms

mailboxck

Saw some live meal worms in my LFS and some smaller worms. Can goldfish eat them? They seem pretty neat and my fish might love them. The person at the store was a bit concerned though because the goldfish might not be able to swallow em properly.

I have heard of people feeding their gfs meal worms, I even tried it once and my gf ate it, but I didn't like feed them to my fish because it was too gross to cut them in half and seemed like my fish had some difficulty chewing them, but it didn't seem do any harm.

there are other types of worms you can feed your goldfish, but I don't remember the names of them.

I like the idea of feeding worms, or any more natural food for that matter, to my fish. There are plenty of worms in all sizes out there for that use. Just have a look around at your bait stores for fishing, they usually offer worms of all kinds.

I have the earthworm culture going from them, I was a bit reluctant to feed the 1. generation (the one straight from the store), since I wasn't sure if they add anything to their worms or not. But any "offspring" of them my goldfish and koi love, and I don't even have to bother cutting them in smaller pieces for the koi. They eat them like spaghetti!

One other great place to find cultures of all kinds of natural foods is Aquatic Ecosystems, their website is Aquaticeco.com. They are only 45 minutes from me, and they have a huge selection of starter kits for all kinds of wormy things. I got my microworm kit from them for the betta fry (good for goldie fry as well), and the delivery is speedy. I can pick anything up from them, but they don't mess around with live food, that is being sent overnight.

I used to feed meal worms to my box turtles but they have a hard skin on them so I don't think I'd feed them to goldfish. Mine also eat night crawlers that come from the bait store. That seems to be their favorite food.

Well, I kept them in the refrigerator and they lived quite a while. I'm gonna say they will live 2 weeks anyway. I had 4 box turtles that lived on my patio and they could go through them pretty fast though.

I bought a 2'x3' rubbermaid tub with a lid. drilled air holes in it. Added shredded paper with a little soil mixed in. (soak the paper and wring it out, then fluff it back up). Then all it takes is putting in veggie scraps for them to eat. I got a couple of containers of redworms at the pet store and dumped them in.

Pretty much the same way I do it, too. Soil, mostly, then leaves on top, and the veggie scrapes. My stepson started a culture of earthworms in a 10 gl tank outside, so he could use them for fishing, but he lost interest. So I got an earthworm culture for the fish! :lol:

Archived