I Bought Lucky Bamboo!

selena685

I finally found some Lucky Bamboo:

luckybamboo.jpg

It's going in my 40 gallon bare bottom tank. There is a fair bit of wires that holds the plant in the shape that it is, but do you think it's best to take it apart and rearrange in a terracotta pot or glass container with some gravel? I would like to keep it as it is, but I'm not sure about the wires and plastic bits that is holding it all together. Will that put toxins in the water?

Can you submerge that in the tank - I have no idea - just asking. There is a place selling tons of that here. i looked at the other day - it's pretty neat stuff!

I have no idea on your question - sorry. I would guess it would be ok - just make sure there is nothing the fish can get hurt on. They are there to make the plant grow in that form - if it does not matter to you how it grows - take them off.

You can keep Lucky Bamboo in the tank. It's not toxic to fish. Fantail has Lucky bamboo and gave me advice on it a few weeks ago. Apparently it is very safe for goldfish.

I think I might take it apart and remove all the wiring as it may rust over time :)

• 2 weeks later...

Lucky bamboo doesn't need any soil or substrate, so you don't need to put it into gravel or anything. I just bought some for myself as well, and I just got a clear little glass container from the crafts department, put some river rocks in it to keep the plant in place until the roots establish themselves, and then will put it in the tank. Right now the plant is still too small for the tank, it would be fully submerged, which isn't all that good for the plant. It only likes water on the roots and probably the stem, but not the leaves.

Mine is in the tortoise enclosure right now....

Guest hamstaman
Lucky bamboo doesn't need any soil or substrate, so you don't need to put it into gravel or anything. I just bought some for myself as well, and I just got a clear little glass container from the crafts department, put some river rocks in it to keep the plant in place until the roots establish themselves, and then will put it in the tank. Right now the plant is still too small for the tank, it would be fully submerged, which isn't all that good for the plant. It only likes water on the roots and probably the stem, but not the leaves.

Mine is in the tortoise enclosure right now....

I have to agree otherwise. My lucky bamboo in a 10 gallon with a betta has been submerged for a month lol. It's grow a new leaf and the older ones haev widened.

• 1 month later...