Surprise!

eather.hey

Well, I moved them today...I have 37, not 27 like I guessed. And only 4 of them are white, like a shubunkin. I thought there were alot more white ones. So it looks like I'm raising 33 "feeder" fish. :(

I need to find people in my area with a pond!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my fry is clear with black eyes, and the others are dark spotted. Their mom is a shubunkin,very light colored with black eyes too. You can see her in my signature. But I thought the other ones were shubunkins too, but darker. (The father is probably a calico shubunkin).

What is the color of your other fry? What is the color of your mom shubunkin?

OldHag

:goldfish::goldfish:

Here's a pic of the mama...(on the right)

common-shub.jpg

I had always figured she was the mama...when they all ended up with single tails, I have to think they were her eggs.

The white common there could be the father. As big as he is though, I'm not 100% certain it's a 'he'.

Here's a pic of my oranda (who has black eyes) who I thought might have fathered the babies.

e289c128.jpg

I'm not sure how the genetics are with goldies. Toothy told me that he thinks a shubunkin's genes would dominate, which may be why none ended up with a double tail.

Now that I can see the babies better, even some of the bronze colored fry seem to have black specs. Maybe I'll have more shubs than I thought.

Yeah, there's like 3 that seem bigger than the rest, but not that much bigger. It's not as big of a difference in size as with Erika's fry. In that picture, some are in the back, so they look smaller than the ones close to the front.

Oh, beautiful pictures! The shubunkin looks just like my male! Does anyone know if it's unusual to have a pale shubunkin like my female? She is kind of pinkish with a few orange and black spots. I was wondering if she could be a crossbreed, (with a common) but she has a shubunkin tail. Wonderful fry pictures!

How many of your fry are you going to keep? Would you sell the fry as feeder fish, food for other fish? I hope we don't do that thing in Sweden, but I really don't know.

OldHag

I would like to keep one fish, just for the memory. I will not sell them/give them to a pet store knowing they will be sold as feeder fish. I'm hoping they're all shubunkins so I don't have to worry about that happening. If I do end up with commons, I'm going to try to give them away to people that have ponds (although, I know no one). In the US, commons are sold as feeder fish (to feed larger fish or reptiles) for pennies a piece. I wouldn't let that happen to my fry. I've spent too much time watching them grow to have some turtle eat them. :heart

Oh, thats good! I can't understand how someone could feed a turtle with cute goldies... horror... :cry:cry1

I shall keep at least one fry, and I hope I could find good homes for the others.

Otherwise, I'll have to keep them, as they are only four.

OldHag

• 3 weeks later...

I came here to see when they hatched...Dec. 10th. They seem to be really small for being 2 months old! I'll go take a picture...

I have 1 with a deformed looking back. He's the one that swims right up to the front everytime I look in the tank. I'm not sure if he needs culled or not. I'm gonna try to get a pic of just him to get some help deciding.

These pics turned out crappy. The water looks like soup...I swear it's not. One of their lights is burned out...

fry.jpg

Here's the one who's back looks funny to me. What do you think?

weirdback.jpg

Eh, they look crappy. See the white one? Looks like it's gonna be a shubunkin! It's hard to see the funny spine one. I'll try again later.

Don't they seem tiny for being 2 months old? I'm gonna bump up the feeding. Going to go crush some progold right now!

OOLLL...my breeders award just popped on now, while I was in here. How exciting.

I've had some deformitys to, they didn't grow, turned pale and had swimming difficulties. Two died and the third I had to put down.

I only have one fry left, Maxi. He's black with silver belly! He's about two months. I think your fry looks great, compared to the small pinkish ones I had, but I'm no expert.

OldHag

• 2 weeks later...
I've had some deformitys to, they didn't grow, turned pale and had swimming difficulties. Two died and the third I had to put down.

I only have one fry left, Maxi. He's black with silver belly! He's about two months. I think your fry looks great, compared to the small pinkish ones I had, but I'm no expert.

OldHag

The one with the funny back is actually the biggest fry. He's also the one that looks me straight in the eyes everytime I look at them.

• 2 weeks later...

None of my fry ever died or got culled. I still have 37. I really should have culled a few, but they seem to be doing fine. I still have 4 shubunkin looking fry. I have 1 bronze fry that turned panda, then all white. That 1 is starting to get an orange tail. I'm noticing a few more are going panda, maybe I'll end up with a bunch of white fish. That helps to identify the daddy...

I really hope these guys all turn out special. I don't know how I'll get rid of 32 bronze commons. (not that they're not special, but you know what I mean...)

Archived