New Setup

bling101

hi im just about to completely strip and reset up my tank and up grate it to a bigger one so...... if you could help me with my questions itd be a great help :D

1. do you need a heater in a tank for goldies the water in my tank can get chilly some times but with me moving to a bigger tank will i need a heater and what size should i go for?

2. ROCKS - when placing rocks in your tank i herd from a friend that you need to place then on sum sort of foam or polysterene to absorb the weight of the rocks and to protect you tank IS THIS TRUE :blink:

3rd and finally LIVE plants - do all i need is some deepish gravel and a light thatll keep them living ill probably buy some very hardy plants that dont need much light

By the way my tank is 24 inches by 12 by 12 and has 3 small 2 inch goldies in

P.S Any help is gd help :rolleyes:

hi bling.

1. youd need a heater only if you know its dangerously cold. 64F and below.

2. foam underneath protects it, if your rocks are not heavy, the foam would float. :[ you can use small colored pebbles[to make the ground attractive] or use gravel. others pebbles are big and do weigh in to the tank.

3. some plants, like java moss dont require much light. many plants also can be stacked down by pebbles and it will start to root and plant itself under it. gravel is fine too.

24 12 12 sounds like a 15gallon tank, true?

three 2inch goldies is fine, for now. if they get any bigger than 3", then i might suggest you need a bigger tank.

1 goldfish equals 10gallons.

yeah it probably is a 15 gallan tank im just no good with numbers lol anyway thank you for the info ill probs just stick some foam undercos it quite a heavy feature in my tank and also how deep should the gravel or pebels be for the plants to root well in ?? :D

A heater is still a good idea, mainly because it keeps the temperature steady (you don't have to worry about it getting cold at night). Steady temperatures are more important than what temperature you keep the tank at for goldies IMO. My heater is rarely on, but it does keep the temp from falling below a certain point, 77 degrees or so.

I've never heard of putting foam in a tank to protect it from rocks. Even on the big cichlid tanks with massive rock formations. Not something I think you'd need to do.

Is the 15 gallon tank the new tank or the one you are upgrading to? That's still too small for 3 fish. Anyhoo, low light plants like java fern, java moss and anubias don't really "root", they draw their nutrients out of the water column. So its more important to have somethign to attach them to than it is to "root" them. But for rooted plants, an inch or inch and a half is good as far as gravel depth.

hi mayi my 15 gallon tank is the new one but my goldies are so small at the moment(1 and a bit inches) once they get to three inches or so im gonna get them a bigger tank but that dont even fill the tank and it lookes bare even thow therres a load of silk plants in.

as for the heater what size or watt would you recommend for my tank

thnk you for the info and i think ill just scrape the foam idea lol :lol:

myaj, some rocks are sharp, and some people use foam or whatever they want to seperate the tank and the rocks because they dont want scratches, etc. i think you know what i mean. :]

how deep should the gravel or pebels be for the plants to root well in ?? 

one inch should be fine, if not, try two inches.

my heater is rarely on, i keep my room temperature at a steady 70?F at all times. day or night.

by the way bling, as myaj said, java fern, moss, etc require little light.. BUT they will produce a lot of green water, a bamboo solution is good to get rid of the greens.

pebbles are rubbed against other pebbles in streams and rivers, theyre not as sharp. i recommend those. dont know about wattage, hopefully someone will help you on that.

by the way bling, as myaj said, java fern, moss, etc require little light.. BUT they will produce a lot of green water, a bamboo solution is good to get rid of the greens.

what do you mean by a bambo solution im only 15 and thats sounds confusing? i quess it involves bambo but cheers for the other info :D

:D KOKO's is so cool people are so helpfull :D

Archived