Egg Bound?

MaudlinBlithe

Does anyone have a pic of what an egg bound goldfish looks like?

If so, can you share it with me?

I have a large oranda... ugh. this is so hard to explain. maybe I'll try taking a pic this weekend to share. (my pics, even at 400 speed film, never come out though)

Anyway, do you know how on GF, there is a "ridge" on their belly's where they are "fatter" and then all of the sudden, their bellys (really I'm talking about the SIDE of the gf here) dip down and the fish becomes "skinnier?"

Well, on one side of my GF, that "ridge" is larger than the "ridge" on the otherside.... You can definitly see a difference, between the two, but it doesn't look like she is going to explode or anything like that.

It has been this way..... for at least 2 months (estimated).

I have asked about this before, and other people thought that maybe she had eggs in her.

Uh. if so, shouldn't she have layed them by now? or is she egg bound? I'm not sure how long it takes a GF to lay, but 2 months seems way too much time. wouldn't any female GF die by this point or something?

I'm so confused. any replies will be greatly appreciated.

Maudlin, do you have any trouble with the oranda, or is he just in that body shape? If he is moving around all happy and fine, there shouldn't be anything to worry about. What color of the pop is it?

Females tend to have one side bigger than the other. But it doesn't mean she will die from not laying eggs, if she has any. Some goldfish actually reabsorb them without you ever noticing. Although most females with that problem get lethargic while doing so, since reabsorbing takes so much energy out of them. One of my female sat 3 month solid just on the bottom of the tank, hardly moving, not even much for food. I had to drop it right infront of her face. One morning she was up and swimming like nothing ever happened.

So, how does your fish behave? :)

• 4 weeks later...

Wow. I got so busy with life, that I forgot that I had even posted this question! My apologies...

Vivre acts fine. She's always on the go. and he poop is always good poop :) even so, right now I have a major nitrAte problem... or, at l east I suspect it's nitrAtes...

Man. Your post sure makes me feel better though! whew!

So, with your one fish- the one who sat around for three months, were you scared? did you go nuts thinking she was sick from something? or did you know from the beginning that it was eggs?

Archived