Going Away Xmas. Best Advise Wanted On Feeding?

Diva

Hi.

I am going away for xmas which will amount to about a week or just over. I have heard nightmare stories about slow feeders, and the fact they could overfeed or pollute the tank. I am wondering if maybe I use a three day slow feeder, and then just leave the tank with the eight real weed plants I have in the tank?

Last time I was away was for 4 days, and I didnt leave any feeder, just fed before I left, and left weed and rooted watercress which was demolished when I returned!! All the fishes were fine.

Anyone have any advice. There is nobody who can feed the fish while I am away, and most of all noone I could trust nearby.

Would really appreciate any advice given.

Many thanks for taking time to read this.

Kind regards Diva

I think your best bet is a timer feeder.... You heard right, the slow feeders could do some damage, by the time you got back you could have a mess on your hands. if you didn't want to get a timer feeder, i guess you could go with a good feeding and the plants. They should be ok for at least a week.

I agree, I hate the slow release feeders! A timed feeder is a good way to go, althoguh a little pricey. Honestly your fish will be fine w/o food for a week. Leaving them live plants to munch on is a great idea. Or if you have someone you trust, maybe they could come by once or twice while youre gone just to feed a little. If you do that I suggest leaving pre-measured amounts of food in a ziploc bag so they dont accidentally overfeed. Non-fish people have no idea how small an amount of food fish actually need! :)

Slow release feeders are horrible, and they really pollute the water.

You could get an automatic feeder, but be careful, they like to overfeed. If its only a few days the fish will probably be just fine. Toss them a chunk of zuchanni or cucumber and some live plants to munch on and they'll be good.

I would not put in fresh veggies incase they don't eat them and they go bad. i would do the plants or like said above they will be fine for a week without food. Turn the heat down and they will slow down too.

Guest podded_pea

Hi diva! *waves*

You already know my thoughts on it, so I wont repeat em...! Turning the heat down too is an excellent idea! *didnt think of that one!*

Hope you have a lovely Xmas!

Pea :)

Thanks for all your good advice. *waves at podded pea*

Thanks everyone. No slow feeders for me then. I thought of timed feeder, but I cant always trust technology, and can imagine it being faulty and feeding them a weeks food in one day!!! eeekkkkkkkk!! So I have decided to leave the 7 plants I have there already, a rooted watercress plant which they love as a treat, and YEAH good idea, turn the heat down a little. I know I will spend christmas worrying!!

Merry Xmas everyone. Love tis site. So many cool peeps!!

All the best. Diva :)

Archived