Darn Air Pump

mailboxck

I guess you all know what an air pump is. Those darn noisy vibrating things that produce the lovely lil bubbles we all love.

Mine is those lil single ones. I've been using it for a year then one day, i noticed that it produced a whole lot less bubbles. Upon inspection, i saw that the lil "rubber bladder" inside which "pumps" in torn up because of wear and tear. I bought a new "rubber bladder" and it's a direct replacement so no problems there. So now my air pump is working well but the question is, do any of you guys have the same problem?

Another prob too that we all have here is that the air line connected directly to the air pump turns black after a few months. Why is this?

I have a couple that have passed the one year mark and

make some awfull noises. I just got another cheapo for

it rather than replace the rubber piece which I'll do

eventually. My guess on the air tubing turning black would

be from the rubber diaphram starting to break down. You

would get little dust particles flowing into the tubing and

make deposits where they can. That or the tube is warming

up a little causing charring. I've noticed mine turn a brownish

color rather than black though. :huh:

I was told that the rubber diaphram in the air pumps tend to wear away eventually. It good to have a good well known brand so it's easier to get parts for it when things start wearing away :)

My LFS sells those diaphrams for a low price. The cost of around 4 to 5 of those diaphrams is equivalent to a brand new air pump. Good deal though. The parts inside are still ok and the diaphram is much cheaper.

The original diaphram is black, which i guess causes the tube to turn black as well. The replacement diaphram is orangy, so hopefully it wont turn the tube black again.

Anothing thing that i think causes diaphrams to break is due to the long hoses i use. I also use 1 single air pump to supply 2 aquariums. I think i might have overworked it.

Archived