Sign in to follow this  
Guest RobFriedman

Blooms! White To Green!

Guest RobFriedman

ok.. I ended up taking too much water out one time...

but now my well established tanks are blooming (well.. 2 of them are)

first it was a milky bloom.. and then it's turning light green...

I was told it is bacteria that are restablishing themselves.. (I have the biowheels going none stop) but after 5 weeks.. it's still there...

B Clear doesnt work.... and P Clear wont either....

partial changes doesnt seem to change it... when i did a massive change.. it was clear.. for 1 days... then started to cloud up again!!! HALP!!!

Last time I had anything like this.. it was my front tank.. and it was an algea bloom.. and with dark and B Clear.. it was all gone.. now.. nothing is helping!!

Rob

the water chem shows zero ammonia, zero nitrites and low nitrates... checked hardness and PH and only thing is the PH keeps rising a bit but that happens after the week.. after which I do a change..

any ideas???

How much filtration do you have on what size tank? How many fish in the tank? Many times a tank will hold its own, but as the fish grow just a touch beyond the filter's limits, the tank seems hazy all the time. Perhaps you need more GPH through a filter.

:)

Plus how many hours do you leave the lights on? That could possibly be a factor - if you left them on less, you would get less free floating algae.

Just a thought.

Edited by daryl

Guest RobFriedman

I have 2 goldies in each... and I'll try killing the lights for a few days...

but what is the white haze?? (it's not as green as the front tank was...)

is this the fish demanding I get a larger tank as soon as possible???

oh I have 3 Eclipse System 12's so the filtration is what is in the lid of those tanks...

When they mash their little faces up against the glass and follow you with their eyes all around the room, you need to get a bigger tank. :yeah:

The Eclipse systems really only have the bio-wheel and whatever can be colonated on the filter pad and gravel/deco/tank contents for biological base. I have filled a bag with extra media (ceramic cylindars) and set it on top of the blue filter pad up under the lid on my Eclipse 15. It works well. With careful work, my tank can support two very small fish or one medium large one nicely.

If I were to hazard a guess, I would guess that your filter is not pushing enough gallons through the filter per hour to totally cleanse the water. Check your filter pump - my Eclipse has a habit of getting gunked up quickly and it dramatically reduces the flow - I have to check it every 2-3 days or so. The top filter pad, when it gets even a little stuff in it, blocks a lot of water and the water just flows over the pad and back into the tank without going through the pad and getting filtered. I shake that pad violently in fish water every couple of days or so to keep it working.

If this is not the case, if you have another filter you could try for just a few days as an experiment, you could try hanging it over the front - I know it looks awful, but the lid will shut enough that there is some light (I hope you do not have plants!). Do not bother with biological filtration - just put a floss or pad or sponge in it to see if the extra filtration will polish your water.

Finally - it might just be a bacterial bloom - though having it stay as long as it has seems rather unusual.

Guest RobFriedman

if a bacterial bloom.. how long does it normally stick around???

also.. one little thing... when I get the new tank... 55 gal.. do I put all of them in at once... or a little at a time??? (I'm going to use BioSpira to start teh cycle and was going to use as much as the water from the tanks as I can to acclimate them...

R

The blooms I have had in a newly cycled tank lasted between 3-7 days.

When starting anew cycle out, you want to grow your bacteria. It grows with the ammonia added. But it takes a few days to grow.

When starting out a newly cycled tank it is advisable, if you can, to add one fish and wait a few days. Test the water to make sure that the cycle is handling all that fish's waste. Then add the next fish and test again. I have never had to wait more than 2-3 days between additions for a nicely cycled tank to get rolling well.

Bio Spira takes a couple of days to really settle in. TEst carefully after a fish addition.

:)