Sign in to follow this  
Guest RobFriedman

Filter For 55 (ok.. Once More)

Guest RobFriedman

ok.. due to lack of funds.. i STILL have 3 GF Eclipse System 12 tanks..

I am definatly going to go with the 55 Gal for all 6 fish.. but the question of filtration still hangs..

assumption: I need 10x to properly fiter this tank with goldies.. meaning 550 gph

answers: originally I was going to look into the Emperor 440 AND an Emperor 280 or an HOT Magnum 250... $$ tended to sway me to the two Emperors..

but..

question: Would having 2 Emperor 280's do the trick??? true the total is 560ghp vs the other one's 720 gph.. but either way it's over the magic 550 mark... (or is 550 the Minimum??? since the companies advertise the 440 as being able to handle the 55 all by itself??

thanks!

Rob

Well, the 55 will still be overcrowded as they grow. So any extra filtration is a great idea, the more the better. You could probably get away with it for a while, depending on fish size, but might have to make some changes in your setup somewhere down the road.

get as much filteration as you can, more is better. you should fit two big or 4 small filters in that tank of yours! I can fit 1000gph of whisper filters in your tank!

On my 56 gallon tank, I have an Eheim 2028 (I think that is the number- 286gph I think) and two Emperor 280's. The Emperors are shorter in width and fit on the tank's sides, for it is a corner tank. I needed both the 280's to prevent the hazy water I was getting.

My 56 gallon tank will barely support 4 fish - but they are big.

The cannister filter (and most that I have had experience with - I am sure there are many others) does mostly biological filtration for my tank. It is a very powerful bio-base and works great. It does not polish or clean the large particulate from the water, though.

The Emperor 280s remove the large particulate as will as polish the water. Because they are Emperors, they also carry media baskets that hld a fair bio-base for the tank. All this filtration and media allows me to safely keep up to 5 large fish in this tank when necessary.

As Myaj has said, since you are going to be over populating this tank, you really need to goose the gph and the bio-filtration of the tank. To this end 550 gph probably will not hack it. It is always good, too, as Koko constantly reminds us, to have multiple filters on a tank - so if one fails for any reason there is a backup.

If you can swing the 440 and the 280, I would go that way. Or the 440 and a cannister, or other filter. As your fish grow, you will be glad you did!

2 penguin 330's will give you 660gph for your tank. That's what

I've got on my 55's right now and :heart em. Here's a link to

the cheapest price I've found. There on sale, so hurry. :)

http://www.thatpetplace.com/MainPro/Itemdy00.aspx

Guest RobFriedman

to all those who asked.. I know it is on the high side... but I can only do what I can afford and what I have room for...

the 55 is still more than the 3 System 12s I have now! (the only ones getting big are the "rescued" feeder comets.. actaully long not as so much big)

funny.. the oldest fish... are still my smallest! weird..

I am still leaning more to the Emp 440 and 280.. and I've had great success with the BioWheels so far in the Eclipse's

only reason I am considering the HOT Mag 250 system, is the polishing feature.. would that make a big difference ?? vs the 2 Emps?

also.. how is that gravel washer vs the Lee/Python type?

(I know the Lee/Python also changes the water.. I just font understand the difference in using the gravel washer with the HOT Magum vs teh Lee/Python?)

Guest RobFriedman

I want to thank everyone who responded to both this and the previous set of questions for my tank...

ordered the Emp 400 and 280 from Big Al's (I've had success from them in the past.. and they seem to always have the best prices!) also ordered the largest Python net.. though on hindsight I should have bought the 24" one vs the standard 12".. then again.. i dont mind getting my hands wet.. and 2 boxes of spare filters

got the tank last nite with stand from Petland Discount for $90 It's a standard All-Glass 55 Gal and some other wrought iron welded stand primed and painted black. I see deals on tanks and lids.. but a tank and stand makes sense to me.. since where the22 would i put 600+ lbs of water otherwise!!

got the All-glass full deluxe hood (48" with 1-FL tube) for $95 from the same place I got my Bio_Spira last nite..(local here called Mutts and Butts in Merrick, NY) true.. it was $5 cheaper at mmm .. and a lot less on line..$75.. but I worry shipping a 48" FL tube. figure with everything considered.. it's fine..

so it is set up.. just waiting for the filters to arrive and the push was a slight crack in one of the Eclipse 12's.. doesnt seem to be going thru.. but I dont know what hit it... so a few more questions if you please

I will probably use all the gravel from the 3 Eclipse.. but will be putting in one tank at a time... and letting the load catch up.. (with the BioSpira help)

1: how much gravel should be in a 55 gal tank??

2: and once more.. what is the water conditioner of choice during a:set up..

and b: regular water changes?

thanks again

Rob

I am running out of time here so can't post much.. but I do know you don't want to do water changes when you use BioSpira or you are just throwing away all that expensive product. It is against everything we always say to not do water changes, but follow the directions on the package or it won't work.

Obviously you can do water changes after the bacteria is established...

Edited by Myaj

I think you'll love the 440's. I have one on my 55 with 5 singletails, and it's doing a great job!

I'm looking to add an Eheim in the future, but for now my 440 is doing the job.

Robin

Guest RobFriedman

I'm sure I will.. I'll have the 440 AND the 280 on the 55...

just cant wait to get them... already rinsed the tank!

just have to get more gravel

and have the large BioSpira ready to use for that!

Unless you are putting in live plants that need the support of gravel or substrate, I prefer to go with as little gravel as possible, only using what I need for asthetic purposes.

If you have the gravel no deeper than one stone, it is easy to squeeky clean the tank at water changing time. With a 440 and 280, you have ample bacterial platforms in your filters, so you need none in the gravel base.

:)

Guest RobFriedman

hmm.. at that rate.. I can use all the gravel from my 3 Eclipse tanks... and spread it thin... only with enough to hold my plants (plastic) and such..

plus it will get whatever bacteria from there too to help it cycle really fast

R