Immobile Snail

Guest Kameira

Guest Kameira

My Apple Snail, Spock, isn't moving at all. He stays in the same place for hours on end, sometimes even days! I have to periodically bring him up for air and hand-feed him fish flakes! Is my Spock dying? What's happening? Is he sick?! :unsure:

I don't want to lose Spock! It may sound nutty, but my snails and I are best friends. I love my snails and they love me back. I don't want to lose any of my snails, they're irreplacable! :cry1

Please help!

tinkerbell had this problem. he was alive but just slowing down... he died a few weeks later but it doesnt mean this will happen to you. im just giving you my two cents. i really know nothing about snails. hope hes ok :)

Guest starsmom

What is the temp of your tank? What is the ph? Are the other water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) all in line? Is this a snail-only tank or is the snail in with fish? Any signs of what is wrong with the snail (excessive slime, shell damage, any injury)? Snails can be very sensitive to chemicals and metals in the water--do you treat with a water conditioner that removes metals? Oh, and how old is your snail?

At lower temps snails definately slow down a lot. I find that mine "rest" after a good meal, sometimes for a long time. Also, they can be more active at night. Is it possible that he is moving around when the lights are off?

Laura

Guest Kameira

Well, I'm pretty sure the ammonia and all that is okay, because everyone else is alive. The guppies, the goldfish, and the other two snails are really happy. Spock looks like the picture of health on the outside, and I've watched him when the lights are off, he doesn't do anything at all. The temp is as warm as it always is. I've been taking good care of him, and he just started to move recently, but after a couple of inches he stops and goes back into his shell.

Spock is a very cowardly snail. When I first met him, he wouldn't come out of his shell for an hour. But this isn't just cowardly, it's more like sickly.

I think he's gonna make it if I just show him a few more days of TLC. Thanks everyone, for your care and support :heart

P.S. If he gets any worse, I'll report back. :unsure:

Guest Kameira

He's not looking good anymore. I've checked on applesnail.net but can't find anything. The other two snails are fine, but Spock hasn't moved for almost 28 hours. I don't know how old he is.

He's just floating on top of the water and he's not moving, but I'm positive he's still alive.

Is there a snail expert around here who can help out? :cry1

Guest hamstaman

Donya is a snail expert.. she's sometimes on here but she is always on the apple snail forum on the apple snail.net website

Well he is definitley alive if he is floating and his body isn't falling out of his shell... When a snail floats and his body is hanging out he's dead.... How big is this guy?

Guest Kameira

It's too late. I think he's dead. :cry1

I picked him up not ten minutes ago and he smelled FOUL. He hasn't moved for two days. Yet he was floating, and he's not falling out. Maybe he just died.

:cry I DON'T WANT SPOCK TO GOOOOOO!!!

Thanks anyways, everyone, for trying to help, and making me feel better about this... :heart

If he stinks really bad he is gone. I lost all my snails the same way you describe - I don't know what happened to them. :cry1

They don't always come out of their shell when they die.

Guest hamstaman

well i would suppose they would cuz they are only attached to the shell by muscles and when they die the muscles de-atach themselves and the snail droops from its shell

and

sory about your snail!!!!11

Archived