Bugs In The Tank?

eather.hey

I'm not sure where I should post this...

I've noticed posts about finding bugs or creepy crawlers in tanks, but never really paid much attention to them.

I've noticed a few greenish, flying bugs in my 75 gallon goldie tank. I squish them when I can, and I've seen my common actually eat them. I figured they were just something natural, no worries.

Then today I noticed in my 5 gallon baby snail tank, that I have white, creepy crawler bugs that look like little fibers, crawing ALL over the glass. I'm gonna assume that they are the larvae of the flying bugs. I'm also gonna assume that the fish are eating the larvae in the 75 gallon. There are no fish in the 5 gallon b/c there are so many baby snails. I can't even put a fish in there, b/c they'd probably eat the baby snails. My latest clutch of apple snail eggs have been hatching all week, but today was their "big" hatch day...where dozens of them hatched at once. Is there any relation between the eggs hatching today and the creepy crawlers appearing today? I also read on another forum that someone said that their nitrate spike had something to do with the bugs appearing.

Since there are no fish in the 5 gal to eat the wormies, should I pick them out? Will they harm my fish/snails? Is there something I can do to keep them away?

HELP...these things are gross!

I had that same problem with my 10 gallon qtank. I had white fiber looking things that stuck to the tank. I was never able to identify what it came from. I actually scrubbed them off with my scrapper

Guest Kameira

I had Planaria and all sorts of cool little disgusting worms in my fishbowl. The fishbowl is what I use to keep the infesting snails in, cuz I'm too afraid to kill them. For some reason they all disappeared. I kinda thought they were cool...

Aren't Planaria some kind of flatworm? :huh:

:) I agree with Sharon, isn't it a parasite that grow in your tank if your

gravel is too deep and you don't clean it enought... i had that once in my tank.

Hmm, the gravel isn't deep at all, but I have a hard time cleaning the gravel b/c of all of the teeny baby snails...could be that.

I'm gonna have to do some more research when I get time. They may be harmless, but gross none-the-less.

What about the flying bugs? What are they then?

No idea on the flying bugs, but the white things are probably planeria. Sometimes you see that on a newly set up tank, or one that is overfed or too dirty. They don't harm anything though, just look gross. Do some extra water changes and that should help. I have a 10 gallon snail breeding tank that is grossly overfed, but since I keep up on water changes I've never had that problem *KOW*

I'll try to do a big water change tomorrow...it's just so hard cuz so many snails just hatched today! I have been probably over feeding the babies cuz I want them to grow so fast! Another lesson learned. I need a bigger snail nursery tank! Looks like a new project will be under way.

Thanks for all your help!

Guest sourmilknightmares

I found some little wormy things like that on top of my betta tank. I picked them all off and fed them to my fish.

Archived