Sign in to follow this  
JessicaandMarshall

911 Beta Emergency!

I just found an entire can of goldfish flakes in the bottom of Rainbow's betta bowl. My son, who is way OLD enough to know better, found some flakes I don't use anymore and dumped them all in Rainbow's bowl.

I did not find this until a couple of hours after the fact!!

I just did a 100% water change, and washed all the gravel.

However Rainbow MUST have eaten some of the flakes because he looks like he is going to literally EXPLODE. What do I do? He is beyond fat, his stomach is all swollen up. :cry1

Jessica

gah! i *think* all you can do now is fastand wait. hope everything goes ok :hug

Blinky, I fed him a bit of a pea. I didn't know if that would be good or bad =o(

Should I add salt or anything at all? Warm the water up?

I hate just waiting =o( Thanks for the good thoughts.

poor Rainbow.

Jessica

i wouldnt risk filling him up any more. it would proabably help move it quicker but id wait for him to pass a bit first so theres some room in his tummy for it.

nope. just thought it was perty :lol:

:huh: Jessica,how's the betta doing? Edited by Devs

Gosh, Jessica, I hope Rainbow is all right :ill Poor little guy, I can remember when you got him :heart

Well Rainbow is still alive, and he had several huge ####.

Thanks for the well wishes and advice. I was really scared. =o( I'll give him a pea tomorrow.

Jessica

:lol: Well,at least its all coming out now!!!! :rolleyes: Glad to hear that he's doing better!!!! ;)

I am so glad, Jessica. Please keep us posted on the little (or maybe not so little after all his fish food) guy.

Well he looks hungry today!

Rainbow doesn't live in his bowl anymore. I acclimated him to my 30 gal tank, and then moved him in there, into this plastic box type thing. It came with the tank (it used to be my SIL's). I think it's for breeding tropicals? Anyway I took the divider out so it's big enough. I put some hornwort in there to float on the top. This tank is at 78 F which is at least 2 degrees warmer than his bowl.

I checked the other bettas, and they were only at 74-75 F =o(

I am setting up the 10 gallon for them. I have to get the dividers, and a few more plants, then they can live in there, have filtered water and a heater.

I feel really mean right now. Because they are in 2 gal bowls.

The only one that has lived in a tank was Deathhead. I thought he did well in the 10 gal alone, but I moved him to one of those little barely one gal betta tank things, and he grew so much in there, his colours came out, and his tail grew 2 more inches. He has a VERY long tail. I am hoping he will like the 10 gal when he has neighbors, if not, I guess he can have his stupid little betta house back =oP

Thanks for the good thoughts! Rainbow was flaring at me today, because he wanted HBH betta bites haahaa.

Jessica

Hi Jessica,

I am so glad that Rainbow has survived his "pig out".

It is funny how bettas react to different living arrangements. It was interesting to hear your observations, and I will be curious to see how your bettas adjust to the 10 gallon, divided tank.

My healthiest betta, with the longest tail, has been living in one of those 2 gallon hex tanks from nooppee. I do 100% water changes on it about once per week. He is doing great. The other bettas that are in filtered tanks, haven't grown the finnage that he has. Funny ... but it is maybe just genetics.

Hi Jessica,

Im so glad that your betta is doing better now after that little mishap.. it can be somewhat upsetting to see when your betta is down in the dumps so to speak - and they seem a little "fatter" then usual, and we all get worried because we dont know why they are acting this way.. or what is really wrong with them... I would think anytime you see your little one acting strange, or not eating and fatter.. it is always best to try and give them a cooked/skinned/boiled pea.. and fast them for a few days, and wait and see if they do a ## :rofl which rainbow has, so thats really good news then.. you did everything right, and im sure your little one will be just fine now.

good luck with your betta - please keep us posted on how your little guy is doing!!!!!

P.S.

I really do love the name of your betta