Sign in to follow this  
kflynt2004

My Goldies Prefer Only One Side Of The Tank!

My Goldies prefer only one side of the tank! Why is that?

On the left i have the filter and the heater and on the right the air-pump's stone.

They keep on swimming on the left side of the tank...

:idont:cry

Maybe they want to be on the warm side of the tank?? :lol:

each goldfish has a unique personality.

some are very shy.

others love swimming on the bottom of the tank

some swim EVERYWHERE !!!!

if all your fish prefer one side.

it could be that they are scared of the other side of the tank.

maybe tooo much current???

too much bubbles ????

an ornament?

they might like the clean water on the left side (as its next to the filter)

try putting food on the other side of the tank.

if its a new tank or a new fish...they may be shy.

The airstone is kinda big but its in the corner and doesnt make any current.

The strongest current is created on the right by the filter. (filter is left)

ALL the decorations and one live plant are on the left side (where fish stay most time). Right side is TOTALLY empty of ornaments.

It's not that they never go on the right... but when they go , the go back left again fast... :crp

Edited by kflynt2004

Guest podded_pea

Hi :)

You might find they like a bit of "cover"... the fact the right side is a bit empty means they feel more vunerable there?

Try a bit of a re-org of your plants and things, see if it makes any difference?

I have one fish that only EVER hangs out at one side of the tank.. I decided in the end it was because it was the "food end" and he didnt wanna risk not being first to the food! I think it can just be completely the fish's choice, it might be nothing you can do to tempt them to use all the tank. They are funneh creatures after all :)

its ok with me if it's their CHOICE...

I dont want them to use only one part of the tank because i did something wrong and it's unpleasant for them...

I have the same situation, my shubukin prefers back left, even in the old tank, and the setup was different, pump/filter arrangement. It started with Annie, she liked back left, then Clarabel and now daisy. Theres nothing different there, as all thats in the tank is gravel, i just think its become a favorite spot.

Guest podded_pea

oo diagrams! :) Which end does the food go in?

Lots of things to hide in on the left, cosier feeling, as they get braver and more used to movement around the tank etc they may start to use the other end more and more?

Plus I think GF rather like things "nice and warm" and hanging out near the heater wouldnt surprise me :)

Give them time to settle alittle more, and maybe pop a plant up the other end for them to feel covered by? should get them using the whole length of the tank more :)

maybe the possibilities are:

water currents.

fresher water.

water temperature.

Maybe theirs a better view out the left side, you never know, i just think sometimes they have a preference, with my fish, she still preferred the left, even after changing the tank and position of pump. filter etc.

how did u draw that !!!!!!!

that picture looks AMAZING !!!!!!

u should become an architect !!!

hehe thanks!

i was just another borin day at home... empty boring days give me inspiration for such things! ;P

In this life im studyin informatics... next life ill think of architecture! hehe :monkey :monkey :monkey

:BTT

what can i do with currents???... they are pretty annoying for me and the fish! :huh:

My goldfish all hung out on the same side of the tank for a month!!!!

Now they swim all over. I think they were stunned and afraid at how much more room they have in the new tank haahaa.

How long have you had your tank set up?

If you want them to swim all over, start feeding them on the other end of the tank. They'll get the idea.

Jessica

my fish often choose one side over the other, normal preference I guess. However they do use all of the tank but one side more often than the other. Maybe try moving your air bubbles to the other side for a few days. oh and your heater must be removed, goldfish are coldwater fish :thud

why remove the heater? goldfish do well in either. as long as its not too hot then they are fine. as for the tank k then id suggest getting some more plants as pea suggested to tempt them over.

aaaaaawwwww..

:yikes:tantrum:why::blowup:

i cant understand anythin...

I ask one thing and i get 20 DIFFERENT ANSWERS...

on every site i read that i should have a heater, and now Lovely_Goldfish tells me "heater must be removed"..............

are there any standards or everybody does what he thinks is right?????? :blowup:

im afraid thats life on a forum k. :) theres lots of ways people do things with their fish so you will get lots of differing suggestions. whats right for one person isnt for another, its up to you what you go with and what feels right.

:monkey :pianobanana :rbanana

O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree

How are thy leaves so verdant

O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree

How are thy leaves so verdant