Sign in to follow this  
Guest JP48

Something Weird Is Growing In My Tank

Guest JP48

There is something weird growing in my tank. :blink: It's hair like and is black. :exactly It been growing all over my tank. :o How do I get rid of it. :why:

Guest JP48

I can't get a pic b\c I don't have a camera, but I'll try to explain what it looks like. It hair like, like I said, its black and it has many strands and its wavy. it grows on plants, ornaments, filter, and on the tank.

It could be hair or thread algea. I have no idea how to get rid of it! If I did, my tank wouldn't be full of it :rofl Maybe we can both get some answers with your posting! :yeah:

Anita

Yep, sounds like BBA or black beard (brush) algae. It loves phosphate and/or lots of nitrate. Have you tested your nitrAte level?

Start doing more partial water changes to lower your phosphate and/or nitrAte levels. Longer and stronger lighting will also discourage its growth and spread.

Good luck! They are real hard to get rid of. :)

Edited by captk

JP48--How long is this algea? I have bba that is 1/2 an inch long, but I also have another type of algea that grows 4 inches long.

Anita

Guest JP48

hey sorry for not respnding ina long time. My internet was meesed up. The hair like thing is about an 1/2 inch long. I change my water every 1 day and I add in water conditioner too. I have no idea how to get rid of it.

P.s. is t safe to touch. and again sorry for not responding in a long time. :D

It sounds like bba! I touch mine all the time and I'm not dead yet! My goldfish really like it too! I have no idea how to get rid of it, hope someone else does! Good-luck!

Antia

It is safe to touch but hard to get rid of. If you try to pull them out, they just break. Check your nitrAte level and increase lighting should help.

Guest JP48

I have alot pf plants, fills up half of my tank, and they take care of the nitrate level. I also do daily water changes. I also have alot of lighting in my tank. I use flourecented light.

They have a lot of products on the market to get rid of algae, without harming the fish. Problem is, most of them harm your other aquatic plants as well. If you go this route, be very careful to read the label thoroughly. I had great success with a product for my pond, which keeps the string algae down, and doesn't harm most plants or fish. It is called:algae fix by pond care.

This is the description on big al's online store:

Pond AlgaeFix will control many types of green or green water algae as well as hair algae and blanketweed. Helps with existing algae and prevents new blooms from occuring. Safe for use in ponds with both plants and fish, however this product should not be used where crabs, shrimp or freshwater lobsters are present. AlgaeFix is non-corrosive and colorless. When using this product there should be adequate aeration in the pond. If there is no vigorous aeration oxygen levels will drop and fish loss may occur. Sorry, but we cannot ship this product to either the State of New York or Canada.

hope this helps,

--nmt

Guest JP48

sounds like a great idea, but I'm through with using chemicals to get rid of algea. that stuff never works when I use them.