Sign in to follow this  
smack536

40 Gallon

Well, im getting a 40 gal for my crowded big girls. What is the most cost effiecient way I can go about this?

What would you recommend for filtration? would 2 HOB filters be good? both 40 gal filters? I was thinking of going with whisper or biowheel this time, since im not happy with the TopFin one for hte 20 gal I have now. which would you recommend?

Air pumps? I have a 20 gal one running now with my 2 airstiones, but I was thinking of getting about 4 or so airstones, since they never work well for me. should I run 2 20 gal pumps or get 1 bigger one and lots of T splits?

I think i still want to stay with gravle, and not bare bottom, since I dont mind the cleaning time and think its so much more elegant with the gravel. Im not sure how much I have in my 20 gal now, but its about 1.5 inches deep. how many lb is this approx? how much more shold I get to keep this level?

What about hoods/etc? stand? the only way Ican do this now is if I get a budget together ASAP!! im off to do some research!

-Christine :)

Personally I like the flat glass beads in a tank, they are beautiful, and you don't have to worry about the fish choking on them. You can buy them at the dollar store (here a bag is 1$ there), I did a 30 gallon tank for under $20.

For a filter, I love the Aqua Clears. And I've tried the others like Penguin, and the A/C's work for years and years, and are so much easier to use and clean IMO.

If you get an A/C you could buy the 500. If you look online, you can find them pretty cheap.

For air stones, I don't really know! I just use an air pump, I don't even know what size, and an airstone that is about 12-14" long. The airstone never works all the way for at least a week or so then it's good to go =o)

The hood and stand depend on what you are looking for. Personally I find it cheaper to by a package that includes both, like what nnnnnn sells. You can get the black plastic hood and metal stand, or you can get a package with a wooden stand.

If you go for a metal stand, I'd get a double stand, that way you can add another tank underneath in the future if you want.

I like the look of the wooden stands and hoods better, but they are more money. The wooden stands come with cupboards though, and cupboards are always good LOL.

Jessica

I would go with an AC500 or two of the smaller ones (200's or 300's), depending on how much room you have.

They are one of the best filters in my opinion, and the price is great. Check out www.petsolutions.com, not only is the price good but they include the media for you, and GOOD media setup, sponge, carbon (I replace the carbon with a 1/2" of floss) and biomax, stuff you can reuse and still do a good job, not those crappy cartridges other brands use.

AC's do a great job mechanically and biologically if set up with the sponge and biomedia. You can just squeeze out the gunk from the sponge, replace the carbon or floss when it needs it, and the biomedia doesn't need much maintence at all, since its their to house bacteria.

I don't like Whispers for the above mentioned reason (the cartridge). Biowheels just annoy me, the wheel turning is something I aways notice and get distracted by... that's just me though, I'm weird.

Myaj, I agree 100% A/C's are the best =o)

I HATE those cartridges that the whispers and penguins take. They are really a pain to change. I have to rip off all the old grungie stuff and add it with the new cartridge so I don't lose all my biobugs, and they only last me 3 months even with rinsing.

The A/C media lasts forever. You can add two sponges instead of the carbon, and when one is ready to throw out, you don't lose your biobugs. I have been rinsing my sponges for over a year, and they are still good!

Jessica

id buy two whisper 30-60 filters, is your 40g a high or a long? If its 3 feet long, it should fit two 30-60 even with the center bracket, I know cause my 34g has two of those for 600gph total filteration. If for some reason the center bracket is blocking(mine doesnt have that) get two 20-40 then, youll have 400gph and also be in the minimum. I love whispers cause their cartages are easy to find and cheap. a new tank is so exciting, I have 4 now

well, I have been doing some research and getting prices. I hope to go shopping this weekend. thanks for the info...I need all the help I can get on budgeting this one! can I have more info on the filters you were talking about?

I was planning on getting a 40 breeder....that legnth will fit into my space the best. lmk if you have anymore ifor