Sign in to follow this  
Guest superwen

" Feeed Meeee! "

Guest superwen

:unsure: Hey everybody

This might be a dumb question but, what the heck. I happen to own 3 Oranda goldfish; each about 5 inches long, fins an all and I've been feeding flake food once a day. What would be the proper amount to feed these fish. I always hear that you should feed them as much as they can eat in 5 min. but, these little monsters can eat quite a bit in 5 min.

you should feed them all they can eat in less than 3 minutes. They don't need large amounts of food.

I use the minute rule twice a day most of the time. But I feed pellets.

When feeding them are you soaking the flakes first???? This will help them to sink and the gf won't gulp air when eating.

I tend to feed mine smaller amount twice a day. :)

I feed mine just enough for them to eat within a few minutes twice a day :)

Well Goldfish need a bit more variety than just flakes.

Try feeding Pellets (Such as pro-gold from goldfishconnection.com)

Feed them veges aswell such as:

Kiwi

Orange

Peas ( They love it and are good for them try feeding them this once a week)

cucumber

apple

lettuce

carrot

green pepper

cabbage.....The list goes on. just soak them in water and make them into bit size pieces.

You can also get these foods from your LFS.

Shrimp

Tubfix worms

Krill

blood worms

A variety of these foods will really show in the color and healthness of your fish. Such as color will become more vibrant, They will be more active, they grow nicely (If given enough space, filtration, and areation aswell). Just an over all healthy goldfish!.

I feed my goldfish twice a day, as much as they can eat in 2-3 minutes.

I also Fast them on sundays, this will cause them to clear their systems and give them a break. They will also look for food in the gravel and clean up the tank for ya a bit so it will keep them busy for a day!

:)

I dont give my fish any timer just as humans need to take their time eating, my fish do too. I just give them all they can eat, when they are full, they are. any excess food is removed later on. the more they eat, the faster they grow

i have 3 small goldies. i feed them about 10 flakes and they eat them in 5 seconds! :huh:

If i put a lot of food in the tank and then remove what they didnt eat, wont it be considered as overfeeding? do they actually stop eating? Can they eat so much and die?

I dunno! I suspect they'd just poop it out. Feed em too much a lot of it comes out the back end only partially digested. Ramshorn snails can help with that. They're a good cleanup crew for goldies... plus they produce lots baby snails which are a renewable food source for the goldies. It's not good to have lots of leftovers laying around cuz it creates more ammonia which gets turned into nitrAtes.

I feed mine several cubes each of homemade gel food each morning... maybe 5 minutes of eating and then hours of looking for any small pieces they may have missed. Then they get some duckweed, frogbit and salvenia plants for lunch and maybe kiwi or a worm. For dinner, it's shrimp or krill and green beans, peas and lima beans. There's a lot of chewing with fresh foods, so it takes them a while to polish off their dinner. Sometimes I'll put zucchini for them to munch on when they want to.