The PEARLSCALE

Ranchugirl

I'm presonally not a fan of celestials or bubble eyes either, I just don't find them as elegant as other types.

I wasn't a huge pearlie fan until I got one, and now I :heart them! My Fred is too cute, but he's not super round, which is how I'd rather he stayed. I find the really round pearlies look a bit freakish...but still cute! I also like that they tend to be a bit smaller than other varities. I was thinking of getting another goldie soon but I don't want to have something huge, so a pearlie it may be!

My pearlscale is still pretty small even though I have had him for 2-3 years. He is rounder then most of the pearlscales I have seen and has a very short tail. The only reason I bought another moor was because he was cheap and I wanted another fish. I like to have at least one black fish in my tank. I am not drawn to telescopes because I have always had problems with them floating.

Here is a picture of Ping Pong. You and see his short tail and round belly.

S5003192.jpg Sorry if the picture is too big.

Ping pong is really cute! Makes me want a pearl scale

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aww I feel sorry for the Celestials, Telescopes and Pearlies. They are all cute, but I just can't imagine them having happy lives, having to struggle with their bodies all the time. Lol I wish my conscience would let me get a Pearlscale though! :D

• 4 months later...

I have heard of Pearscales but I've never seen one. Odd little fishies aren't they? But adorable at the same time! They remind me of my mom's old perfume bottles LOL!

Perfume-bottles.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

This has got me kind of fascinated, there were some gorgeously coloured pearl scales at my local fish place. Might go back and take a few pics, for science, you know.

(I feel you, Anorea - I love the cool shapes that breeding can come up with, but when an animal gets modified to the point of disability... )

She's the smallest in my tank with the biggest ego. My two other ladies seem to really like their bold new friend. :heart

I took a trip down to southern NJ for vacation in AC and met up with two fellow kokonuts, Mikey and Pearlscaleperfect. We met up in a fish store where PSP jokingly offered her last baby who needed a home and I joked back, saying that hey, they sold buckets at this store! A few minutes later, here I am heading to her house with a 5 gallons bucket for a new fish!

This little lady drove from NJ back up to New England with us with a portable airpump. She spent a few days with us by the beach before heading back up north and she seemed totally fine with it. Since then she's grown from a tiny marble to a much bigger marble and I truly adore her. :wub: Her name is Nora. :Dancing:

U6ofFox.jpg

This incredible fish is her mother. She has since passed away and I'm in charge of making sure her baby lives the best life I can provide. :blush:

L6nblCB.jpg

Edited by Chai

• 11 months later...

Yay, I get to join the club! I saw this little one in a tank full of redcaps and couldn't resist. Now he shares a 75 gallon with two others. Here's a shot taken on his first night here at a massive 3 inches long. :)

IMG_1582_zpswgyze4nm.jpg

• Admin

Yay, I get to join the club! I saw this little one in a tank full of redcaps and couldn't resist. Now he shares a 75 gallon with two others. Here's a shot taken on his first night here at a massive 3 inches long. :)

IMG_1582_zpswgyze4nm.jpg

First Pearl I really like :o

• 2 weeks later...

I want one so bad, I might get one if I can upgrade to a 75 gallon in the near future. They are just so cute and chubby!Love it, except what worries me is they look more prone to swim bladder issues.

• 2 weeks later...

I think they are adorable! I saw my first few in person last weekend at a koi and goldfish show. (My first show as well!) I fell in love. I really want on, but I have two fantail's and heard they can damage a pearl scale's scales.

I think they are adorable! I saw my first few in person last weekend at a koi and goldfish show. (My first show as well!) I fell in love. I really want on, but I have two fantail's and heard they can damage a pearl scale's scales.

Probably not. You'd just need to make sure the pearlscale gets its fair share of the food, since the fantails will be faster swimmers. Other than that, not much to worry about. :)

Probably not. You'd just need to make sure the pearlscale gets its fair share of the food, since the fantails will be faster swimmers. Other than that, not much to worry about. :)

Really? That would be awesome. I would love to have one of those little guys. I don't know where to buy one though. None of the fish stores around me have them.

Really? That would be awesome. I would love to have one of those little guys. I don't know where to buy one though. None of the fish stores around me have them.

My local Petco sells them. You could get a high quality bred one from the internet.