Sign in to follow this  
Guest koi_moon02

Are My Fish Breeding?

Guest koi_moon02

Hey I'm kinda new at taking take of goldfish. This is the first time I got an aquarium and some goldfish that actually lived for more than a week. I guess I'm learning...the sites help. I particly been on every one for tips. But now I think I have a problem. I think my goldfish are breeding but I'm not sure.

It started when we changed the water, we put it really cold...didn't realize it was that cold until later so we put the heater on. Yes I know I'm new at this so I'm an amateur. But ever since that incident my fish been chasing this really fat fish around. I read that fish breed in spring when the temperature changes. But after this incident I think my fish think it's spring and they wanna mate.

I'm worried about my fat fish because she's gettin hurt by all the other fish. Are they breeding...I'm not sure. Please help me. This been going on for almost 2 weeks. I'm worried about Queenie...my fat fish.

cold water makes it not want to breed. but if you put heater and its 72?+, it might breed.

one fish chasing other fish.

sounds like.

male[not chubby] chasing female[chubby]. this is called the spawning dance or something like that.

sounds like breeding behaviour to me. if they are in cold water that is gradually warmed up it does sometimes trigger breeding. you might find this topic of use to you:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22931

:welcome

Guest koi_moon02

thanx for the help. So I think out of all of this I concluded they are startin to breed. My female fish is lookin rather rounder than usual and my male fish seems to have like two white dots on its gill.

My female fish is gettin rather beaten up. She lost a lot of scales and it seems that sometimes that she bleeding where she got beaten up.

I'm new at this so I'm not sure how long this would take for the process to be complete. It's almost been 2 weeks. Is she supposed to be beaten up for that long?

Guest koi_moon02

My fish just laid eggs this morning. We tried to get all of them out before they get eaten. Most of them did. And there's still a lot in the tank. But because of all of you I knew how to handle it thanks for the help. But now I need more help. Most of the eggs we took out just came out of my fish so I think they're not fertilized. Is there anyway to fertilize them?

And another thing. Is it possible for my fish to lay a couple each day? Cause when she first laid the eggs after a couple of hours we saw tiny fish (fry I guess) swimming around. We transported them out of the tank before they got eaten. Anyways can eggs hatch that fast or were they laid a couple days ago?

My goldfish layed eggs almost everyday when they were breeding so it's possible that you already have newly hatched frys :D Congratulations!As of non fertilized eggs,I have no idea how to fertilize them but I'm sure someone here could help you with that :) Sorry I'm not that much help :( Good Luck with your babies!!!

in the link i gave you, it says how to hand spawn but it really needs to be done immediately after the eggs have been layed and i wouldnt reccomend it just yet. :) good luck with them. if you see any fo the fry swimming about, id take them out. theyll get eaten otherwise.

Guest koi_moon02

So far I got 7 little frys. :D We placed them in a bucket. Do you think I should put them into a little bowl instead, keeping the same water as in the bucket?

About the hand spawning, yes we did try that after the eggs were laid, but I don't think it worked so we just gave up. Any way to just fertilize them using special drops or something??? :crp

Guest rosedawson318

I dont belive so. but if your fry are hatching eperate them as they get bigger.

the big ones might eat the eggs or smaller fry.

Guest 20292

What do little fry look like becuase i have a little brownish red spots that look like they are moving but i can not tell. I found a big clear things stuck to a plant so i took it out and now there are those little brownish red things so if anybody knows, then that would be great!!! If they are fish can i put them in the normal tank with the 4 other common goldfish?

Dean