Who Tests Their Water Parameters?

Athena

How often do you test your water parameters?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you test your water parameters?

• more than once a week
    • once a month
    • only when they're sick
    • only when I'm cycling
    • I never test them

I was curious to see who tests and how often because I never test my water parameters! :ignore My goldfish are always doing great and I never mess with the Ph and stuff like that because why mess with it when it ain't broke? :lol:

Normally once a week (not that there's an option for that :P ) but about twice a day atm cos the tank is cycling

I don't 'mess' with the levels as a rule, but I do think it's a good idea to test them, as otherwise the first sign you have of something wrong is when they start dying- says she who 'didn't see the point' in buying a nitrAte test kit.... :wa

I am almost like you. I have a water test kit, but I haven't used it for months. It wasn't much help for me during the cycle because my levels never went high (I barely detected ammonia/nitrite and the tank seemed to cycle so fast.)

I only test once a month as I do weekly water changes, and as long as my fish look healthy I dont fuss. There have been times when a fish may look sluggish and i will test straight away, but the water was always fine :)

:D I have to say that I picked once a week where truth is maybe once every two weeks. I've learned the hard way not to assume my water params are fine.You'd be surprised at just how fast a fish can go from healthy to sick-to even worse!

(holds up hand) guilty here. I tested when my tank was cycling, but after that I quit. Pet Fish Talk gave a great set of steps on how to judge your water condition by smell, sight, watching the surface water, and I have been following that. I change water every day, and my guys are doing great. If they started acting sick I would test right away though!!

Robin

I tested daily when I was cycling.

After that since my KH is low in my tap water, I monitored KH and pH for several weeks till I was sure I had the amount of baking soda worked out that would maintain my pH.

Now, I test nitrAtes occasionally and test everything if the fish act stressed.

Just added oyster shells to keep my KH/pH up (instead of baking soda), so I'll be monitoring that a couple of times a week for a while to make sure it's working.

Guest sourmilknightmares

I used my test kits a lot for a while when I was trying to figure out why my pH was weirding out. Then I tested while cycling my tank and now that its cycled I don't test often. I still do every now and then. And if anybody starts to act odd that is the first thing I do.

Well, since I have live plants and do 50% water changes every week, I have a pretty big margin of safety. So I generally check nitrates once a month or if I miss a water change, but its more to make sure I am keeping up with what I need to as far as water changes.

I do have all other tests on hand, GH, KH, Ammonia, pH tester, etc, but usually only check those if something looks odd in the tank.

Of course, this is only on mature, cycled tanks. A cycling tank or one with issues I test almost daily for ammonia, etc.

I test mine Before and after my weekly water changes to see how much of a diffrence I have done to the NitrAtes.... Mine usually stay around 20 but right after a change it goes down to 14.

After that I record it in a notbook so if I have any problems.....I can see when it has gone a stray.... :)

Well mine are daily at the moment, but thats because of cycling and sick fish together. I have to say, especially with my PH test kit, i sometimes find it hard to match the colors, some are a very close call. At least when i do say ammonia there is more of a color range, yellow to green to amber etc rather than 10 shades of green.

i ONLY (to be honest) check my ammonia.

I do weekly water changes...

so i doubt in a week...something can go very wrong ;)

i don't need to check my pH..cuz its BUFFERED with crushed coral !!!

and if i do weekly water changes + vacuuming + rinsing the filter....

i doubt my nitrate will ever get high.

and plus...i'm NOT overstocked and i DON'T overfeed..

so its very very unlikely something will go wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

I love filling in all the little spaces in the charts I make for my tanks. So I like testing the tanks.

I keep daily records of observations of my tanks - any time there is anything that occurs out of the ordinary, I run an extra set of tests.

Archived