Oh No! Oh No! Oh No!

Athena

So, before I was aware of it...and somebody told me...I washed my two gallon out with dish soap. I rinsed, rinsed, rinsed really well. I put all the old water from my betta's 1/2 gallon bowl in the tank and topped it off with 20% of water from an established tank. So, I tested the water today and the Ph is 8.0 and the Nitrate is less than 5ppm. Then I removed 50% of the water and replaced it with more water from an established tank. My betta has two splits in his fins. I think that the tank may be cycling again? What should I do? Should I put Melafix in the tank?

Did you use any filter media or gravel from the other tank? Bacteria lives on surfaces, not in the water, so using water from another tank does nothing but put dirty water in there. If you can, put some gravel in an old nylon sock in the betta tank, that will help with bacteria.

As for the split fin, bettas often have split fins, its the wear and tear from flaring. Melafix will help heal them up. Some of the more mellow bettas will look much better, my really agressive guy is always in tatters because he flares at everything.. food, the heater, other fish, people as they walk by...

Bettas are pretty dang tough, so just do daily water changes, add some melafix and he'll be fine I'm sure.

:D Hi Athena...keeping your betta boy in pristene water should help with those fins. If you really feel the need to use the Melafix,then I would use 1/2 strength sparingly,and keep a close eye on your boy. I've been lucky enough to where I very seldom have to use anything like Melafix.I've had positive experiences with it-except with my bettas. For whatever reasons Melafix did not help them-they became worse. I have talked to other people with the same experience with their bettas.This of course is JMO.... :rolleyes: Good luck with what-ever you do!

I have to agree with Sharon on this one. Both Bettafix & Melafix caused my bettas fins to rot (& this was on top of bacterial rot) :D Jenn

PS - My baby with all of the probs is Bubba. He's in a 2.5 gal tank with a whisper filter & aquarium marbles. I have a thermometer in there so I know he's at a steady 76-78. I have a heater on hand in case but so far I've not needed it in this tank.

I can't see any red on the fins because he's pure red. His top fin is still up and he's still eating. So that's a good sign. I read on a betta doctor site that someone put a link to in Koko's that he might just have vitamin deficiency. I also fed him peas today, for the first time, to see if that would help. I started feeding him some betta food instead of just bloodworms to help with the vitamin deficiency. Maybe I'm just freaking out and he does have vitamin deficiency. I think that right now I'm just going to feed him peas and that betta food.

Archived