Fry Tank

bling101

although this is a very good question, i think youll get a lot look sees at this in another forum, ill move it over there for you. :D

as for a quarentine/hospital tank:

10 gallon tank or plastic receptacle

100gph filter

light

heater

thermometer

aerator/bubble stone

i would keep a totally separate container around to raise fry in. since im not well versed on raising fry, i can only share with you what i know. hopefully others will add to this list as well.

5-ten gallon tank or container

fry foods

methylene blue

airline tubing for vacuuming out uneaten food and waterchanges

hope this helps! :lol:

Great advice, Paul! Just to be on the safe side, though, I would recommend a bigger sponge filter instead of a power filter. Don't wonna accidentally suck up some of the fry and end up in the filter itself, chopped up by the impeller....

Besides the commercially sold fry food there are also other foods that are excellent for fry. San Francisco Bay came up with frozen freshly hatched brine shrimp, those are wonderful - small, so easy to feed for the babies, and full of neccessary nutrients.

gotcha. i guess i should have made the point that the power filter would strictly be for quarentine/hospital purposes. indeed, a big ol sponge filter would be ideal for the breeding receptacle. you could even keep it in the q-tank in between batches of fry to keep it cycled.

anyone know if methylene blue would harm a bio-filter? or would the methylene blue be strictly for an unfiltered environment? :unsure:

Archived