Why Don't People Listen?

Athena

My friend has a two gallon. Yes, a two gallon. If you didn't read this a two gallon. She asked me what kind of fish to get for it. I told her well get a betta and a couple of ghost shrimp but do not I repeat do not get a goldfish. Well, so she calls me back and guess what? She got a common!!!! Her justification...Well he looks fine right now. Yeah, maybe because the little guy is only two inches big!!! Grrrr...Why didn't she listen??? Why? Why? Why?

Because the guy/gal at the petstore prob convinced her that it would be fine....

& it's cheaper.....

& it's what she wanted anyway!

(Maybe it'll get her started in bigger tanks! That's how I started. I knew nothing about fish had 2 commons the lps told me 2 gal was fine for them :blink: . Now I have 6 tanks in my house!!!! :rofl )

:D Jenn

The same reason my neighbor will not listen to me me about her pets. One of her dogs froze to death last year - you would think she would learn....but no....... :cry1

I told her again about her babie bunny's being out in the open - she says they lay in the sun in the day time, well what about now when there is not sun and it is snowing and freezing cold! :angry:

Oh how I want to go steal them...... :ignore

Guest starsmom

Lachfa:

I DID have my cat stolen for me! He was just a kitten (6 weeks old), lying on cold cement in a garage, and he was very sick. The woman who had him (my friend's mom) wouldn't let me take him. My friend "stole" him out of the garage in the middle of the night and brought him to me. The woman thought he wandered off and died! But he is still alive and well, 12 years later. He almost didn't make it though. He weighed less than two pounds, and had a bad respiratory infection. He was constantly sick for his first couple of years. He was never properly socialized either, because he was sick he didn't interact with his littermates. The vet says he doesn't know he's a cat. Not sure exactly what he thinks he is...

I would seriously consider liberating those bunnies! I know it's bad, but if you know someone who would care for them properly, maybe you could pull it off? Leave the cage door open, maybe she will think some animal got them? Sounds like she would suspect though, because you've already spoken to her about it...

We all have to do the best we can! Athena, all you can do now is have a rubbermaid tub ready to bring over for those fish! Guarantee your friend is going to need it. Maybe with your guidance, she will come around.

Laura

I can't do that - she is a very good friend and she just bought them for her kids - an early Christmas gift. If I were to let them go they would die too - they are domestic bunnies - not wild ones. I will just keep harrassing her about it, maybe I will tell her daughter they are going to freeze to death and she will bug her mom too.......

I agree with Laura! Liberate those bunnies! Or, you could call the ASPCA. I get it that she's a friend- but when my friends are doing something wrong (especially something like animal neglect/abuse) I step in. If the friendship is true, then she will understand. Or, if you're really worried- you could make an anonymous call.

Good Luck! (poor bunnies)

Athena: I think your friend is probably going to fall madly in love with her fish and want to take maximum care of it. The more she falls in love the more she is going to try and educate herself about fish care (well I hope so anyway).

Have you referred her to Koko's yet? That would be a good start for her. I know how you feel. I tell people what requirements goldfish need and they shrug me off and say " Goldfish can live in bowls for years" :angry: It can be frustrating sometimes :)

The same reason my neighbor will not listen to me me about her pets. One of her dogs froze to death last year - you would think she would learn....but no....... :cry1

I told her again about her babie bunny's being out in the open - she says they lay in the sun in the day time, well what about now when there is not sun and it is snowing and freezing cold!  :angry:

Oh how I want to go steal them...... :ignore

that's animal cruelty. You should call the police or the SPCA.

Athena: I think your friend is probably going to fall madly in love with her fish and want to take maximum care of it. The more she falls in love the more she is going to try and educate herself about fish care (well I hope so anyway).

Have you referred her to Koko's yet? That would be a good start for her. I know how you feel. I tell people what requirements goldfish need and they shrug me off and say " Goldfish can live in bowls for years"  :angry: It can be frustrating sometimes  :)

I would refer her to Koko's but her computer is down right now and will be down for a while. But, thanks for the suggestion!

ur friend is probably better off with a fancy goldfish than a common

2 gallon, 1 small fish should be ok, weekly WC or 2 times a week, and a lean diet should be ok...

but dont expect the fish to live long...

fish is better off in that tank than in the fish store

Guest shannonc

:crp I can relate! My brother keeps getting his 3 yr. old a common & keeps it in a 2 gallons. In the year since they bought the tank they've had 6 fish (all die) except the one that's left.... The water and filter were changed once... I did it. There's only so much you can do... sometimes appealing to their common sence helps.

:cry1 People leave their dogs outside all year with no shelter and frozen water dishes in the winter. And they say "well, if dogs in the wild can handle it.. .theyr'e fine." Common Sence explanation: "Even dogs in the wild find shelter and fresh water on a daily basis" Oi. It is frustrating. But show 'em all you can do is show them how to learn.. the rest is up to them.

Call the ASPCA, Its illegal to not provide proper conditions for an animal... (I work for mmm, and trust me, we have a great relationship with our spca people, because we're always turning people in ;) )

YOu might recommend the House Rabbit Society to her - they are wonderful people for rabbits, just like Koko's is for goldfish. She might learn that way.

In the long run, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar, as the saying goes. Perhaps if you were to offer to help her set up the fish tank, invite her to see yours, have her over when you are cleaning a tank. Loan her a good goldfish book - if not directions, give her one with spectacular pictures. She might be so impressed she will want her fish to "look like that".

It really boils down to whether people are open enough to think about what they see and hear, or whether they are so busy or whatever and only follow the "common knowledge" that has been around since time began and is generally wrong.

It is wonderful that you care. :hug

Archived