Sign in to follow this  
lcwinne

Color Changing

I have a black and white oranda that has SUDDENLY started loosing it's black. He is a fine looking fish in his black and white style, but he's looking kind of "pale" since he started loosing ALL of his black.

I've read where some goldfish do lose their color because black isn't a stable color with goldfish. This change has become pretty rapid in the last week. He has lost almost all black on his wen turning it a pale yellow, his all black tail is starting to whiten along with his pectral fins. And his black strip down his doral side is turning a slight bronze/yellow.

I had added some plants in this tank to hold till my new tank get's through some it's cycling, which cloudied the water and effected the chemistry. Could this have anything to do with his color change

Is there anything that I can do to give him back his glorious black and white color?

A certain food? Something in the water? etc???

Thanks for your help

No, unfortunately as you mentioned, black is extremely unstable in goldfish, and your fish is more than likely genetically programmed to be a white fish. You may find that your fish ends up with a few gold spots after he/she completes her colour change.

I have a lionhead that was blue and white when I purchased him, and he is now all white with an orange spot on his wen :D

BTW, the colour change can occur very quickly.

One of my fish were all orange, at the time of purchase, but is now white and light orange

Guest barbie

I have a 1 year old black moor that has recently changed to an orangemoor :tbanana

Is it bronze or orange? They usually turn bronze, but i'm sure they can change into any color.

The best thing you can do for a completely white fish, is to send it to me ASAP.

heehee kidding. I LOVE pure white fish.

I usually buy, half and half fish, such as red and white, blue and white, black and white etc, because 9 times out of 10, they WILL turn completely white! I even have a calico turning all white.

I doubt the plants had anything to do with it. It's just genetics. There is nothing you can do to keep or get back a colour. They just change according to their genes. Like some people are born with blonde hair, but then it turns black and vice versa.

Good luck with your new coloured fish!!

Jessica

The best thing you can do for a completely white fish, is to send it to me ASAP.

heehee kidding. I LOVE pure white fish.

:rofl That's Jessica,always on the prowl,always lookin for a new white fish! :rofl By the way Jess,did ya hear the latest??????? All Heather's fish are turning white! :o:saywhat:rofl3

so true goldfish that are black most likely will loose that when they are older or when there food contains allot of carotene in the food (algae) or lack of sun light.

I'm doing a study with a new food product that is slowly working on my Fiona she was a Half Blue Oranda with Choco running threw her. She is now all White and Orange. With this new product the black is slowly coming back on her fins and side pieces of the Orange. Time will only tell if this stuff will work.

This is her when I first got her and the 2nd photo is her now :D

:o OMG Koko that is unbelievable how much blacker Fiona's gotten just since the last pic you posted!!!!! That pic posted wasn't too long ago at all! Wowee!!!!! Well so far ,whatever you're using in the study seems to be working---If it can change fish back to black,then I see it making a bundle!!!!! Do you know all the ingredients in this stuff?

Don't know off hand but I can find out. I get it from my local pet store and its really amazing with fish that have skin color...you know like calico's.....my Domino was getting some amazing colors from the inside :yikes

Well I am totally impressed,and if it's all natural,and safe--which I'm sure that you'd make sure -then I may have to send some money thru paypal,and get some myself!!! ( Two of my three chocos are turning orange!!! :yikes ) :lol:

Well let me make sure this stuff works all the way guys. Shes only been on it now for 3 weeks.....The last photo is what she is now.

Guest metallax

hey jess, i have an ALL whie fantail comet, and a regular white one with an orange patch on his head (he also has strange eyes, they're reflective instead of black.. it's wierd)

So the second tricolor pic was before and now shes white and orange? Im confused. I am always on the lookout for good new foods. What kind is it?

I have a fantail with parts orange on a white body. He started losing color a few months ago, after all, his name is pumpkin, since he was all orange. But not any more :)

Koko ...

:listen: Let me know how the food works. I'd really like my black & white oranda to be black and white. He has now totally changed to yellow and white (and not the bright orange of a gold fish either but actually yellow) and looks pretty washed out.

Guest Milky

If you lived closer to mymyLFs has a completely white bubble eye it is so cute.. i thought about buying her and namign her Blackie :P

gosh is that gorgeous koko! does the color changing mean you got them pretty young and that there getting older? I had a bronze color moore that changed to all black when they were done, I was just feeding them the tetra flakes, does food really make a difference? I currently have my guys on the Bio Blend, they love it and they seem to do very well with it, am spoiling them. How old is he/she? whats the name of the food? how long have you had her/him? sorry for so many questions :D

Guest neka

hi

my black moor is now pure gold and is massive she has out grown the other 3 the other 3 look like babies compared to her.

I don't know what is happing but she is gorgous and the boss :blink: