Sign in to follow this  
JessicaandMarshall

There Is A Weird Critter Growing In My Tank....

I bought 2 live plants about a month or so ago.

Obviously I did not disinfect them well enough. :huh:

Anyway, I planted them in terracotta pots and used river rocks to weight them down in the pot.

A week after I had them I noticed tiny moving things in the bottom of the pot when I took the pot out while I was cleaning.

They are NOT fish lice, and they were kind of creepy so I put them back, (yeah they scared me haahaa).

A week later, I look again and I notice they look like little white worms, except they have LEGS.

2 more weeks go by and I look again (today) I found two. They are whitish, have a dark spot in the middle of their back (They are see through like baby fish) and they have legs and antenae.

They remind me of little crayfish/lobsters/shrimp, you know that sort of thing. They are really tiny still.

I have them in a little container. They like to hide under rocks.

They DO NOT seem to hurt the fish at all. They just live under the plants in the pot.

They are growing. What are they?

I don't want to kill them if they don't hurt the fish (which they don't seem to). I am tempted to just put them back in the pot, except I am afraid when I look next week they will be really creepy looking.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jessica

:rofl

What the22?? you sound just like me....

I dunno, are they baby ghost shrimp? That's my only guess... can you get a picture of them? :blink:

I tried to take a picture, but they are just too small! I don't even know what a ghost shrimp looks like, much less a baby one. I'll go look up a picture of ghost shrimp.

Thanks

You know, I think it may be shrimp. I just looked at pictures and read about them. It said the babies need to be fed baby brine shrimp, but I haven't fed these ones anything, and they're obviously eating something because they have the food in their tummies (the dark spot).

I'm just going to put them back, whatever they are. It said the babies should be in their own tank, but these ones seem to do well enough in the plant.

I really hope they are shrimp and not something creepier. *shudders*

Jessica

hey jess! :D

im wondering if they are indeed baby ghost shrimp or not. anyway, they certainly dont sound like anything for your goldies to worry about.

a little note on ghost shrimp, your goldies will make a quick meal out of them if they can catch them.

last year, i bought several very small ghost shrimp to feed to my betta. all but one were hunted down and eaten. the last one grew to full size (1 1/4 inch) and lived for close to 8 months. but, the only reason it lived that long was bcause he grew bigger than the mouths of the cories and betta in the tank. so, if youve got a small tropical tank or something, they would be perfect in there. also, they are excellent foragers and a few of them in a small tank will do wonders for tidying up the algae and uneaten foods.

good luck with them! :lol:

Thanks guys!!

I looked at them again, and I am sure they ghost shrimp. I put them back in the tank! =o(

I don't have tropicals, just betta's and goldies. But I have an empty 10 gal I can set up for them.

The tank they are in has clear glass marbles for substrate, I think they would blend in, if they venture out of the flowerpot. Maybe that is why they have lasted so long! My goldies don't eat those little pest snails that look like pellets, so hopefully they won't get the little shrimp things, before I can get the new home set up.

Thank you!! I am so glad they are not something creepy. I don't think I've even seen a picture of a ghost shrimp until I looked them up today.

Jessica

:D Baby ghost shrimp!!! How cool is that! Now me,I gotta come home with ramshorn snails,and some other type snails that I can't get rid of!!!! :rolleyes: Go figure!!! Keep us posted jess on how they're doing!!

yeah, same here, my plants have these snails and stuff, yuck.

If you want to rid your tank of snails, just squish them against the glass ... now I know that sounds yucky, however, it gives your goldfish the taste for snails. I can't keep a snail alive in my tanks unless they are too big to fit into the goldfish's mouth.

I don't actually squish my snails, since I rarely see any small ones :lol:

BTW, I think the baby ghost shrimp sound very cute :D

Edited by touchofsky