Sign in to follow this  
Guest wenmill

Brown Algae

Guest wenmill

I recently put river rocks in my tank and they looked so pretty and so clean! After about 3 weeks they covered with brown algea and look terrible :angry: My Sword is also covered with it. Do any of you EVER use the chemicals I see at the LFS to remove algea? :crp

I wouldn't try using chemicals to remove algae. Most of them aren't for use in planted tanks anyway, but even ones that are I wouldn't use. I once tried using an algaecide and within a few minutes all my previously normal and active fish became lethargic and started resting on the bottom, even though I'd followed the instructions to a T. I did a large water change and pitched that bad stuff down the sink! My fish perked right up after the water change and were fine. I'm not sure if algaecides work for brown algae, since its not really algae (it's diatoms), they might only work for true alages.

To control brown algae, you can try: making sure your water quality is good, because poor quality water can cause brown algae; adding more light (and replacing old light bulbs), since low light might cause excess brown algae; an algae sponge (brown algae is very easy to wipe off); changing your rocks to darker colored one where the algae won't show up much; testing your water for phosphates/silicates and using a phosphate/silicate removing media to get rid of them. Brown algae is normal for new aqariums, so if yours is new you might just need to wait it out. One of my favorite stragagies for handling algae is using natural colored gravels, rocks, ornaments, etc, so the algae isn't as visible, it makes a huge difference. For everything else, I just wipe the glass and the leaves on my larger-leafed plants and it looks pretty good. Some plants also don't look as bad with algae on their leaves, such as the reddish, brownish, and very dark green varieties. Light-colored slow-growing plants with small leaves that you can't wipe are the ones that look the worst when they have algae on them. :)

Guest wenmill
:yeah: Thanks so much for the response. Guess I'll just have to put up with it. I will try the phosphate test, tho. Don't have any of that right now. Edited by wenmill

Do a nitrAte test as well. High nitrAte will also encourage their growth.

I'm still cycling my tank- I guess that's why I have brown algae then... How long does it usually last?

IME the brown algae will last a few weeks and then its gone.

I would agree to stay away from chemicals, anything that is going to kill algae is also going to hurt your other plants.

OIC, you are just cycling your tank. I'll withdraw my suggestion on testing nitrAte. You shouldn't have much yet. More a new tank syndrome thingy. :)