Long Awaited Chewy Pics!

eather.hey

I have to warn you, they are a little "naughty" and I'll leave it at that. These are pics of Chewy trying to eat, and Boyfriend had his mind on other activities.

Check out how gross the glass is on my tank! I'm going to go clean it as soon as I post these! LOL

post-2023-1100414392.jpg

:D Good question Jenn. I think that Heather told me that she just found like 5 different clutches of Chewy's eggs in different areas of the tank! :blink::yikes So far,the other s in the past have not managed to hatch,but one of these days,it's going to happen. All I can say to that,is "Look out Loretta"!!!! That'll be alot of little Chewy's!!!!!! :rofl

In that first pic it looks like she's eating a ham sandwich!!!!  Is that why she's so big??!!  :rofl

It's a slice of tomato and some lettuce in a chip clip. They have to eat constantly or else they eat my moss ball. I only have one left...and there's a hole in the side of it. Plus I'm trying to give them some extra calcium, their shells are looking grody. I need to buy something for that? Any ideas? I'm new at this.

You have soft water? I believe that soft water is lacking in calcium. My water here is so hard it can stand up. Believe me...... I have to get some CLR today.

I've heard that you can use crushed egg shells and put em in a panyhose or something to add calcium to the water.

ARe you sure it's erosion? Is it pitted, or is it horizontal lines... if it's the horizontal lines it's new growth. I thought Naughty had a problem with her shell for awhile too, but I found out it was just from her "growth spurts".

It was my pH then...since I've had the 75 gallon up and running I struggled with pH problems. The pH would dip down into the low 6's, even 6.0. The only snail that has somewhat bad erosion is Boyfriend. It's def. erosion, not the growth marks. My pH is at a constant 7.4 now, thanks to Devs giving me some crushed coral. I used to never really pay attention to the snails when the pH crashed, I was more worried about my goldies, I never realized the slimers were affected just as badly. Now that the pH is normal, hopefully his shell will heal. Lord knows they're getting a great balanced diet, that will help too I bet.

Thanks for the info!

In this picture I circled the places where the erosion is. The spots are sunken in and just unhealthy looking.

post-2023-1100557900.jpg

Hi there you guys..I must say Chewbaccas shell looks great...its a bit difficult to tell what the damage is on the boyfriend but looking at your other pics of these two my guess would be mating damage...I have this on mine too LOL but you can add extras to your tank to combat that a little..someone mentioned crushed coral awsome stuff I use it now as the substrate but it can be used in cut up pantiehose {or Tights if in the UK} make a little bag take out some filter media and pop it in or better still use a old filter just for this..but you can not beat Kents liquid calcium for adding extra goodness to your water...hope that helps a little you have realy healthy looking snails Linda

Just wondering if you could us baking powder instead of baking soda?

I don't think so!!!

I'm using crushed coral in both of my filters actually...and I'm trying to feed foods that contain a lot of calcium. The coral finally got my tank pH balanced! I've been at a steady 7.4 for weeks! That deserves the happy dance! :tbanana

Archived