Baby Snails

eather.hey

I found baby snails and I really don't think they're apple snails. I haven't had a real plant in months, so I'm not sure where they came from. My snail, Chewy lays eggs every other day, but they always seem to dry out and I didn't think any of them ever made it. These snails that I found seem too brown to be applesnails, but I'm not sure...does anyone have pics of baby applesnails...Erika?

Guest hamstaman

check applesnail.net

and go to other species of apple snails... it look like an apple snail.. Maybe it is a Pomacea Canniculata.. do you have real plants in your tank at the moment??(notice any nibbling on plants???)

My first thought was it was those rare spotted Physa Acutas..though i don't know...the shell is very apple snail like lol

Ramy

Applesnail.net was the first place I went, but I couldn't find any hatchling like pics. That pic of Naughty's baby is kinda brownish. Maybe these babies are Chewy's. I got a piece of anacaris off of my mom months ago and these babies just seem too tiny to be from that! The anacaris itself has been gone for a month. I'll take a picture of some of the babies if I have time tonight. I borrowed Dev's camera and I'm going picture crazy!!! (I borrowed it to take pics of stuff I want to sell on ebay and I've been taking pics of my fish for the last 3 hours!)

Thanx for the pic, Erika! Love ya babe.

The few batches of baby apple snails that I actually managed to find looked dark colored for the first couple of weeks. The parent snails were either blue, the brown kind of the golden apple snail. They never bothere to breed only in their color family now, do they? :rofl

The more I look at these babies, the more I'm convinced they are in fact Chewy's babies! I found several hidden clutches of eggs that I hadn't noticed tucked under the rim of the top of the tank. Most of her eggs either fall off into the water or I remove them right away. But she got sneaky on my and layed 2 clutches where I couldn't even see them. Most of the snails I found in the filter (alive) where anywhere from this big O to <_< . Today I found even tinier ones in the main tank...like this big - o - or even smaller, just about the size of the eggs. They just have to be Chewy's babies! These things are hatchlings! I did get a picture of some of the larger ones I'll post here. It's not real clear, they're tiny and it was hard to get a clear pic.

That sneaky little snail! Hiding her eggs from me. She just layed a huge clutch last night, I took pics of her laying them, but I didn't look at them yet, hope they turned out! I now have 5 seperate batches in my tank!

So, who wants a snail???

post-2023-1100512912.jpg

Here's a better pic of one of the babies...the body looks pinkish red and their are spots on it just like in Erika's, well, Naughty's baby. Although Naughty was a different subspecies of applesnail...Ugghh. I found broken shells, so I'm convinced these are Chewy's offspring.

Here's a better pic of one of the babies...the body looks pinkish red and their are spots on it just like in Erika's, well, Naughty's baby. Although Naughty was a different subspecies of applesnail...Ugghh. I found broken shells, so I'm convinced these are Chewy's offspring.

post-2023-1100663077.jpg

post-2023-1100663098.jpg

Archived