"landing Pad"

eather.hey

My larger goldies have a knack for gobbling up pebbles during feeding time. It always scared the crap out of me. I used to have a large flat rock buried under the gravel to raise a section in the back to be a little higher. The rock is about 6 inches long and wide and about an inch and a half thick. One day I had the idea of using the big flat rock as a "landing pad" of sorts for the sinking pellets. I put the rock in the front, left corner of the tank and when I feed the fishies I aim the food for the smooth surface of the large rock. This way they eat right off of the rock and don't have to go digging thru the gravel to find food. I hardly notice the larger fish getting pebbles in their mouths anymore. I've almost trained them to just eat from the "plate." My cories snack on any food that falls into the corners where the goldies can't reach, so everyone wins. This might be a good idea for anyone who has problems with their fish getting gravel stuck in their mouths, which can be very scary!

I'll post a pic as soon as my mom gets her death grip off of her new digicam! ;)

My larger goldies have a knack for gobbling up pebbles during feeding time.  It always scared the crap out of me.  I used to have a large flat rock buried under the gravel to raise a section in the back to be a little higher.  The rock is about 6 inches long and wide and about an inch and a half thick.  One day I had the idea of using the big flat rock as a "landing pad" of sorts for the sinking pellets.  I put the rock in the front, left corner of the tank and when I feed the fishies I aim the food for the smooth surface of the large rock.  This way they eat right off of the rock and don't have to go digging thru the gravel to find food.  I hardly notice the larger fish getting pebbles in their mouths anymore.  I've almost trained them to just eat from the "plate."  My cories snack on any food that falls into the corners where the goldies can't reach, so everyone wins.  This might be a good idea for anyone who has problems with their fish getting gravel stuck in their mouths, which can be very scary! 

I'll post a pic as soon as my mom gets her death grip off of her new digicam! ;)

250215[/snapback]

Ya know,I was just thinking that maybe I can try that on my Lionhead Louie. A month or so ago ,Louie came up with either Popeye or an eye injury-never did figure that one out. Anyway,although Louie seems just fine,so far his eye hasn't gone back to normal looking.I'm starting to believe that this may be a permanent thing for him. Anyway,when I feed him,he seems to have a real hard time seeing to even look in the gravel to find his food. I'm thinking that maybe if I place a smooth flat rock on opposite side of filter in tank,and start training Louie to eat only from that side, that maybe he'll have an easier time finding it on the smooth rock,and actually get enough to eat..I have a moor that has lousy eye sight too. Okay,you didn't count on feedback from that type of usage,but you got my brain thinkin now!!! :yeah: I think you have a great idea!!!!

Archived