Sign in to follow this  
Guest shanblair_04

Going Home For Thanksgiving Break

Guest shanblair_04

I'm in college and am going home for thanksgiving. I cant to tank my tank home with me and I don't have one at home (because I bought the fish/tank after i came to school). I want to buy a feeder, but I know my greedy-butt fish will probably eat all the food on the first night? What should I do. I do have a small tank I kept my betta in (he died a week after i bought him) to tranport them in, but wouldn't a .5 gallon tank be too small for 2 fish for a few days?

-------------Shannon

If you are only going home for a few days, your fish will be just fine with no food.

I have to leave my fish for 5 days :( I hope he doesnt get lonely-poor guy

I saw an automatic feeder at nooppee of all places.... it looked like the kind that you couls put a preset amount of food in and it would release it at specific set itme... Found it of course in the pet departments fish section...didn't check it out closely, cust thought it was a neat idea....

id just leave them with out food theyll survive

I had to leave my fish every weekend for around 4 months and they were fine without food for a few days

Guest squeeker

When I went home for Thanksgiving (Canadian) I left my fish alone for 4 days, and they were fine. As long as they are healthy, they will be fine. Just feed 'em right before you leave, and first thing when you get back. However, DO NOT throw in extra food to compensate for the lack of feedings before you leave... it will just pollute the water.

Guest shanblair_04

They'll really be ok? I had a hard time fasting them when they were constipated. i'll only be gone for 4 full days.

Yes, goldfish can go for a week without food. When i was gone for Hong Kong for 2 weeks, i just fed them extra the day before and when i came back, they were ok. And 2 days without food is nothing. I think that an automatic feeder will not be needed. But since you already have one, you could use it.