Sign in to follow this  
silver8328

2 Ramshorns

I have 2 ramshorn snails. i know they are uhh asexual :blink: but I've had them for about 3-4 months and no babies. Are they not ready yet or whats going on? do they did a certain water temp or something?

Guest hamstaman

:blink: ramshorn are asexual??? lol never knew that haha..

Well they will mate if there is an abundance of food and water quality and temp are good... warmer waters usually is what they like..

Now i'm not sure but if ramshorns lay above water the eggs will need humid air or they will dry out... but i think that ramshorns lay under water... not sure tho:S..

Anyoene else?

I had one ramshorn snail, now I have alot, lol. Ramshorn lay their eggs under the water. I have had mine lay it's eggs on plants and the sides of the aquarium. They are these small jelly like globs and if ya look close you can see little whitish specks in them. Mine started laying eggs a few weeks after I got it. Maybe you snails aren't old enough yet? Take a good look at your tank sinc ethe eggs can be hard to spot. also do you have any other fish in the tank? if so they might be eating the eggs and/or babies. Good luck with your snails, Once they start laying you will have lot very quickly:)

I actually have 3 common goldfish who are pigs :D But I dont think the snails have ever laid any eggs yet cause I like to sit and watch everything that goes on in the tank. And I have never noticed any eggs besides the goldfish eggs. Its not that I even want to have all the snails I just want some babies :D

Edited by silver8328

I have a few ramshorns, malaysian trumpets, and regular aquarium snails. I see the little globs of eggs in my tanks all the time, and occasionally a few baby snails, but I never get any more adult snails because my goldfish eat most of the eggs, and if they don't get some eggs and they hatch, they eat the baby snails when they find them.

Ramshorns arn't asexual to my knowledge. The small brown ones are hermaphrodites, but can't self-fertilize. If those are what you have, then it could just be that they arn't ready to breed. They will breed in pretty much all temperature ranges. On the other hand, if you have the giant/columbian ramshorns, those are not hermaphrodites and you could have either two males or two females.

Ramshorns are generally asexual, and breed....alot. I know from experience. They dont seem to care about anything as far as water condition, etc(had babies in a tank being treated for ich, and they are just fine). I am on my 6th generation of ramshorns from 1 snail I bought for $.50. Apple snails eat the eggs like no other(i consider them my ramshorn birth control) again, the goldies are a great fan of escargot..... Good luck, but once you have babies, youll be indindated with them!! :D

What do you mean by "regular aquarium snails", Valkyrie? :huh:

I had two ramshorns in a filtered and airrated bowl for 4months living with a small school of white clouds, but they never had babies. When i moved them to a tank with three appe snails, and started put food in their especially for the snails, they started breeding :huh:

Guest hamstaman

snails like everything to be perfect when they breed... like air moisture must be precise or the snails won't breed... so picky.. why cant they just lay eggs whenevr lol

Since the last time I posted on here my snails have laid eggs 3 times.. yes 3 times. After they did that I moved them to a different tank and they haven't done anything yet and I am totally fine with that cause I only wanted a few babies... not a few hundred :blink:

They are not asexual just like Donya said. You need two to breed.

Asexual means you only need one. You do not need a male and female to have babies though with the small brown ones.

I have the giant columbians, so what are the odds that I got a male and a female haahaahaa. You need a boy and a girl for those to breed.

Jessica