Sign in to follow this  
maniacholic

I Wonder...

I wonder if I can feed seaweed(from the oriental supermarkets) to my goldies...

I was planning to dip raw seaweed into the mix i usually use for gelatin and then crushing it with a blender then frying it in hopes that i would have self made flakes... is this a good idea or unsuggestible in comparison to the gel method.

(R.A. is getting mad that i keep strange stuff that looks like "marijuana cubes" in the frig, no idea what that is lol)

*laugh*

frying it? as in oil?

I'll bet you meant drying it.

dunnno! but do let us know how it turns out.

but now you've got me wanting to find some seaweed. :)

I feed my goldfish seaweed, I get julian sprung's sea veggies which is a sheet of marine algae. I don't see why you couldn't use the kind of dried seaweed sheets you get for oriental cooking, though you should make sure it's had most of the salt removed. You can cut the seaweed into little pieces to make flakes for your fish. It's pretty easy, and you can mix different kinds for a bigger variety of nutrients. There's a kind of julian sprung's sea veggies that's in the form of flakes also. My fish love seaweed. Just make sure you soak it before you feed it, like everything else. :)

*laugh*

frying it?  as in oil?

I'll bet you meant drying it.

dunnno! but do let us know how it turns out.

but now you've got me wanting to find some seaweed. :)

I think it'll take a while before i make it i need to finish up the "mary j cubes" first LoL

So sorry Guru I wont be able to let you guys know so soon.

sea vegies are comercial products. already prepared so i dont think you can altar that btw since they are already dried...

Edited by maniacholic

Betty, I have seen Sea Veggies in the fish store. I think they make that for marine fish mainly, but other fish can eat it too I would guess.... :)

My b/f bought something called Seaweed Selects online for my goldfish. They actually have it at my lps, but he didn't know when he got it. It says its 100% natural dried seaweed. It's in sheets and I pinch off a little piece and put it in the veggie clip that came with it. I've only done this once, and the time I did it, I had problems getting it to stay in the clip and it ended up just floating around the tank. My goldie chased it around picking at it for awhile. After about 30 minutes I took out the remainders. He really seemed to like it, but slightly messy so I might advise to do it right before you're going to do a water change and vac.

Guest starsmom

I feed my goldies "Seaweed Salad"--it is sheets of seaweed in a plastic pack sold at the lfs. Says on the pack for all fresh and salt omnivores. Sounds like the same stuff that you have, grubgal!

The way I feed is I take a fairly large piece and fold it up in layers so it is thicker. That way it stays in the clip better. It can be a bit messy, but my apple snails like to eat it too, so they clean up any little pieces that the goldies miss.

Laura

I got the julian sprung's sea veggies from drs foster and smith online. It's 100% dried marine algae (theres green, red, and purple varieties), for marine and freshwater fish. I soak a piece of the sheet and crumble it up into a feeding cone for the fish to suck out, so it doesn't make as much of a mess. :)