Sign in to follow this  
zebsmom

I Hink I May Have A Problem...

ok.... here's the situation....

My two new fish.... Purchased them Friday... The tank from which they came from in the store was a colder than they one I have at home.... not a problem in my book you just acclimate them to the new temprature over time.... not a thought in my head about what I think is happening with the fish right now.

Ok... I have a a Gold and black Oranda named Charlie because of it's cute Charlie Chaplin like mustache, and a Calico Fantail that we named Dorothy (for my 3yr old son, because he loves Elmo's world). Both of theses guys are approximately the same size... Charlie is a tad bit larger but not by much at all.... They are Approximately 1.5 to 2 inches long not including the tail. Them being sooo small I didn't think I could sex them or that they would even be active in that aspect of thier life yet....

What I am afraid is that one is mail (dorothy) and one is female(charlie). Here is what I have been noticing....

Dorothy has chased Charlie around the tank since the first evening I placed them in there. I didn't think anything about it because Dorothy has not been nippy aggressive just sorta face in Charlies buttocks area and constantly following Charlie... didn't seem to stress or bother Charlie to much, and was just thinking that they were sorta playing in their new environment cause they liked it sooo much...now I am thinking silly me... anyways.... I thought I noticed Charlie was a bit fatter than when I got them yesterday but attributed that to te having a better diet than they may have had previously..... Dorothy however wasn't showing this fattening up trait even though he/she seem to be the bigger piggy pig of the two... how odd I thought but dismissed it until this evening... The usual chase antics going on ...I'm watching and I realise Charlie is quite a bit bigger today....in the back tummy area....much more noticable....so I decided to just venture on here to see if I couls read anything about that... and found someone else who was having similar problems and people were thinking it may have been that she was impregnanted with eggs.....So I go into the Breeeding section.....watched the mating ritual or the two older and larger Fish in the pinned topic at the top of this section.... guess what.... that is exactly how my fish are acting....

They are tooo young I absolutely positive..... I started reading what sorta conditions they seem to like for spawning.... and ohhh my I have them....

My tank temprature runs naturally with out a heater 76 degrees... They have been a better more varied diet.... lots more space they at the lfs.....and water changes about every day to account for the changes the new established cycle is trying to adjust too.... So fresh, warm water, with lots of new foods and boom... I've made them want it :ignore Yikes.....

Now I am afraid if this is what's happening taht she is too young and will get egg bound..... can anyone helo me please...... :scared:cry1:help1

I'm soo worried that I could just die....I've been a new fish mommy for 4 days and I think I am way out of my league on this one please lots of help!!!!

Edited by zebsmom

first of all I would cut back on the food, maybe feed once a day. also I would not have their light on as much. hope somone comes along that knows more on this than I do! good luck! :)

light stays on about 8 hours ...no more.... just because my tank wanter stays sooo warm.... even on really cold evenings late at night the tank only drops to 74..... I think I amy cut back on the feedings a bit and make it just the gelfood...so they are still getting the peas in thier diet... thanks...

Guest starsmom

My fish bred and produced fertile eggs when they weren't much bigger than yours. I actually have one of the surviving babies! I still have both the parents, they are much, much bigger now, but they haven't produced any eggs (that I've noticed) since.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. They must be pretty happy if they are breeding!

Laura

Well the fish in question passed away last night while I was sleeping... other than hertummy being a bit bigger than when i got her nothing else seemed to be wrong with her... I took her back to the store where I got her and they replaced her for free... I hadn't had her 7 days....She was the one I fell in love with at the store too.... it about broke my heart in two....

so sorry about your fish!!! :cry1