First Time With Real Plants

mailboxck

a pink light? any idea what color temp it is?

how old is it? Even tho they keep putting out light, you have to replace bulbs regularly cuz I've heard they don't do as well when they get older at putting out the type of light that plants need to grow well.

So how's big's the tank?

I'm running about 4 watts of 5000K and 6500K lights over my goldie tank and the plants are very happy. My tropical tanks have the standard stock lights on them, but they are by a south window and the plants there are loving the sunlight.

If it's one of those fluorescent bulbs that come in the plastic hoods, it's putting out 15 watts of light. That puts you at under 1 watt per gallon. The swords won't grow fast enough to keep up in that much light even with a root tab under it. Unless you put the tank by a window (preferable a south window) you'll probably end up having to stick with low light plants like java fern.

Nope, that's a sword, possibly a melon sword but I'm not that familar with the different types. Its a sword though.

That bulb is not going to work with live plants. It just doesn't put out the amount or type of light they need. You could get a screw in compact flourscent but that will still only give you 10-15 watts of usable light, though it will be better than the one you have.

You could try growing some crypts, java fern and java moss at your light level, though I wouldn't really expect much growth even from them. If you are serious about live plants, you're going to have to upgrade your lighting.

Yes, the bacopa (moneywort) will grow under just about any lighting, but the sword is going to need a heck of a lot more than that.

What we are saying is that screw in bulb doesn't put out the right light for most plants. There's a huge difference in the way plants use the light produced by flourescant bulbs (tubes and power compacts) vs incandescent (screw in) types.

That's good. a bit more light than I thought. about 1 watt per gallon. Plus the height of the containers will help get the plant closer to the light.

I think the sword is planted a little too deeply. we should be able to see where the stems meet at the bottom on the plant.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived