Sign in to follow this  
Guest hamstaman

How About Instant Cycling?"

Guest hamstaman

my 20 gallon has been running for 3 days now... and the tank is starting to cloud..

I added some of the product Cycle and alot of already infested with bio bugs filter floss from my 10 gallon... does this cloudiness signify that my tank is nearing the end of its cycle... how could i make it cycle quicker thanks:D? ( there is no living thing in the tank at the moment)

nope. if it's a milky looking cloudy, it's the bacteria that eat debris, consume oxygen and produce carbon dioxide and ammonia. They can double their population every 20 minutes.

The biobugs don't grow fast enuogh to cause clouding of the water.

Guest hamstaman

so how can i help instant cycle my tank?

Some people have had good luck with a product called Bio Spira from Marineland. Dr Tim did his dissertation on the biofiler bugs and his research looks sound to me.

The only other way to significantly reduce the time for the biobugs ot get up to speed is to seed the tank from an established tank.

Lots of fast growing plants (with good lighting) can also help cuz they prefer ammonia as a food source. They would also bring some biobugs in with them.

I see that you said you did seed the tank with filter floss from a running tank. Did you "feed" the growing bacteria with any pure ammonia to keep them alive and growing?

I think, as DataGuru has stated, however, that you are probably not seeing the beneficial bacterial bloom that you wish.

I agree with Daryl. You need to feed your bacteria or they will die out.

So far you've done everything right. Try adding one quarter cup of pure ammonia every second day for the next week. Don't forget to add more Cycle, I swear by that stuff.

After that week is finished test your water for ammonia & nitrites, either at home or take a sample to your lfs and ask them, it's usually free.

BTW, you can buy ammonia at most general stores in the cleaning aisle. Check the ingredients of the bottle to make sure it only contains ammonia and no detergents.

The bottle of Ammonia I purchased for cycling purposes actually said nonsudsing on it. Clear nonsudsing.... but always as Fishmerised said look at the contents label to make sure.....

I used cycle too!!! It is pretty good at getting things started! Not an instant cycler but makes things go faster.

Oh yeah I have also heard of a product called TurboStart . It's really expensive but gets your tanks cycled extremely fast from what I have read. I have no expirience with it but will point you in the right direction if you are interested in looking at it. It is shipped, directly from the manufaturer to you overnight, and must be kept refridgerated. I think the company is called Fritz Zyme. Will edit this post in a bit with a link for you if you wish to check it out.

Edited by zebsmom

I wouldn't add that much ammonia at once.

For a fishless cycle, I'd add enough to get ammonia up around 5ppm and keep track of how much it took.

Then test for ammonia and nitrIte daily.

add enough ammonia to bring ammonia back up to 5ppm till you see nitrItes showing, then reduce the amount of ammonia in half.

The two people who used biospira on another board are having very good luck with it. ammonia hasn't gone above .5 and they've seen maybe .25 nitrite and nitrAtes are increasing. Looks promising.

I have had a great deal of luck with BioSpira, also. It does not give an "instant" cycle, but will create a workable one that you can build within a week.

The trouble with BioSpira is that it has not been available for over 8 months now. I do not know if it is available yet - certainly is still not to be found around here. It costs about 9-17 dollars per dose ($17. or so for a 20 gallon tank)

Since you may have stunted or killed the bacteria that was residing in the floss you transfered, can you perhaps spare another round of it again? There is a thread posted here on Koko's that will help walk you through a fishless cycle, and should be of help, too.

The best way to "instantly" cycle a tank is to place a filter with a fully developed bacterial colony onto the tank. Since you have one filter up and working on another tank and do not seem to need the filter that is running on the 20 gallon tank, what if you hung the filter from the 20 gallon tank on the established 10 gallon tank and ran it there, along with the established filter? Within about 2 weeks, it should be very well colonized and ready for transfer to the 20 gallon. At that time, you would have a choice - either do a very fast "fishless" cycle to completely build that cycle you have created on the smaller tank, or add one small fish and in about a week add the second fish, keeping an eye on the water parameters. A newly created cycle should wrap itself around each new fish'ws waste quickly and well, with no great problems. Let the filter grow to handle each fish's waste as you add each. (That is about as fast as you would get with BioSpira, also.) :)

It's available again... dunno how widely. I hope they have their quality control stuff in place, cuz I wasted a bunch of money on it before their production facility went south. Was really disappointing since I'd read of it working well and Dr Tim's research looks sound to me. Bernies has it. http://fishstoretn.com/bio_spira.html

You've gotten some great advice so far, I'd like to add the following:

I use a product called Cycle, think of it as "bugs concentrate" to assist in the tank cycle. You definately need to keep the bugs fed, I add some fish food daily.

Another thing that has helped immensely is some water from an established or a pond. The only down side in either case it that you -may- add some contamination to the tank. If you're careful, the risk is low, but still something to consider.

Okay, so that is two more cents. Luck to you.

I never had any success with Cycle. I tried for several years on that one.

The first rounds of BioSpira I used were great!!!! They established a beginning cycle in a matter of 2 days, that I built to a solid cycle within a week. That BioSpira was refrigerated and dated. when shipped, it was done overnight in dry ice.

The next time I had to purchase some for tanks in my new city, they did not have it refrigerated. It was stated that they had discovered that refrigeration was not needed. That particular round of BioSpira was worthless.

Then it shut down.

I am a little leery of the non-refrigerated supplies - the jury is out, but the original product was a wonder!

Thanks DG - I shall check that out for possible future needs. :)