Power Filter

RedCapMiggi

I have a whisper 10i internal power filter with my 10 gallon tank. I was wondering if i should switch to a different type of filter because it creates a current from the waterfall that make the goldies hit the bottom whenever they swim by. They always go back again though, does this mean they like it? Should I switch filters?

Unless the goldies do not have any other option but to swim by, my bet is they are enjoying it. Mine love to jump in bubble streams and ride them to the surface, and when I pour fresh water into the tank, they race to jump into the outflow and get "blown" around the tank. Make sure they have a way to swim that does not require them to go through the outflow and all should be fine.

Actually hitting the bottom of the tank is probably not good, but if they choose to ride the current then it is probably not only fine, but fun.

As long as that filter keeps the tank clean, I would say it is fine. :)

I have the same problem as you. I have one corner where the water falls back into the tank from the filter. The fish would get pushed down due to the water pressure but they always keep comin back for more. I bet they're enjoying it.

RedcapMiggi, it could be that the fish just play like discribed above. If you feel uncomfortable though and think its too much for them, try this....

Get cheap filter floss, or the stuff you fill pillows with in the craft store (the nonflammable kind), secure a piece of it where the water comes out of the filter, and just let it hang into the water an inch or so. The water now will not gush back into the tank, it will glide along the filter floss, and its a gentler output..... :)

Archived