Sign in to follow this  
niner83

Blue Egg Pheonix

i just saw a pic. of a blue egg pheonix, and was wondering if anyone had heard/seen of a place where i can order or at least see a live one?

That is a real tougie. The only source I remember selling blue phoenix was a breeder associated with the GFSA (goldfish society of America, Goldfishsociety.org).

One owner brought his fish to a show not so long ago, but otherwise I run a blank on this one... :)

As far as I know... all the blue egg phoenix goldfish are being jealously guarded by a few select breeders at the moment. They are trying to build up a substantial amount of breeding stock. So as far as I know it is VERY rare to find any. Goodluck!

From the Goldfish Society of Americas website:

In 1996, the Goldfish Pagoda shipped 18 Blue Egg Phoenixes to the GFSA in the United States and the GFSA shipped a similar number of Blue Veiltail goldfish back to them. The Veils were bred by Al Foster. The Blue Egg Phoenixes were distributed to a number of senior breeders in the society. These fish are hardy, though somewhat slow to spawn. After a few mishaps, a good breeding base has been established with a number of active breeders keeping the breed. They have proven equally adaptable to the pond or the aquarium, with both an attractive side and top view and active, alert behavior.

thx but it doesnt sound like ill be getting one anytime soon... <_<

my father said that egg phoenix were considered bad looking back at asia and they had bundles of them... so after a while the production of em REALLY slowed down Hope I didn't discourage you.

I did see a pair of absolutely lovely egg fish - with the long Phoneix tails - at the last fish show this fall. They were calico - not blue - but gorgeous. There are sources of this type of egg fish - but not the blue, as I understand they are being "developed" just as Obsidian says.

There are some out there, but you will not find them in a fish store or pet shop. You will need to talk to some of the foremost breeders of fish and see what kind of deal can be finagled.

Good Luck. They are lovely fish!

Hmmmmm, a breed in development? Makes me wonna try even harder to get one of those! I see a mission in the making! :lol:

LoL it should be EASY to develope a new breed with the Eggfish since it is one of the most primitive types of fancy goldfish of 1726! but the truth is that the eggfish has a slow breeding rate so dont expect to get a new breed THAT fast