Blood Under Anal Opening

RedCapMiggi

I got my Red Cap Oranda today to look at its anal opening to determine the sex. I looked and right under the anal opening there was a big red bloody looking skin about 3/4 centimeter long. This really scared me. I dont know what's wrong. Its also been resting on the bottom of my tank. My calico doesn't have this, btw.

Ammonia Level: I got a test strip and it was bright yellow if 0 ammonia and mine turned a dull green. :(:(:(

Nitrite, Nitrate and pH: Unknown.

pH from tap: Don't use tap water, use bottled water

10 gallons and its been running for a month, the fish are small and its not due to tank size.

What kind of Filtration? Canister

How often do you change the water and how much? 40% every week

What kind of Water additives or conditioners?

Any Medications add to the tank?

I just use these drops everyweek that it says to keep ick and fungus gone

What do you feed your fish? Hikari Gold pellets, tetrafin flakes, oranges, tiny pieces of hardboiled egg

Any unusual findings on the fish? Such as

"grains of salt", bloody streaks, frayed fins, fungus? None

Any unusual behavior? Like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..? They eat but just stay at the bottom

I just checked again and it seems to be very bloated as well. It has a very big stomach area that is very soft and is definately not muscle on there because it goes in when touched. I dont know what's going on with little Humphree!

it sounds like a bacterial infection. could you take some tank water to your lfs to get the results preferably before you do a water change, thanks.

I got my Red Cap Oranda today to look at its anal opening to determine the sex. I looked and right under the anal opening there was a big red bloody looking skin about 3/4 centimeter long. This really scared me. I dont know what's wrong. Its also been resting on the bottom of my tank. My calico doesn't have this, btw.

Ammonia Level: I got a test strip and it was bright yellow if 0 ammonia and mine turned a dull green. :(:(:(

Nitrite, Nitrate and pH: Unknown.

10 gallons and its been running for a month, the fish are small and its not due to tank size.

It sounds to me that you have allready started answering your question. Your test strip should have read yellow, you mentioned green-that alone will tell you that you are definately having water problems.Your amonia level is reading very high,and your nitrites are probably just as bad. Your tank has only been running for a month-it sounds as you are still going thru the cycle period. You may think that your fish are real small,and that your ten gal. tank is ok in size,but sadly,that's not true . I think that you need to do a water change immediately--and by the way,what kind of bottled water?

Guest vanillagenocide

10 gallons is too small for these fish! i have two lionhead goldies and they are in a 20 gallon tank.... that should be the minimum, i would think!

Archived