Sluggish Fish

RedCapMiggi

My Red Cap Oranda and my Calico Fantail have been resting at the bottom of the tank. I've had the Oranda for about 2 months now and it usually didn't rest down before. My Fantail that i got like a week ago is being sluggish also and they only move when i feed them. They never swim around the tank just move around the bottom.

Ammonia Level: I bought a test and it was bad, i dont know the exact number though, it was real bad though. :(:(

Nitrite, Nitrate and pH: Unknown.

pH from tap: Don't use tap water, use bottled water

10 gallons and its been running for a month, the fish are small and its not due to tank size.

What kind of Filtration? Canister

How often do you change the water and how much? 40% every week

What kind of Water additives or conditioners?

Any Medications add to the tank?

I just use these drops everyweek that it says to keep ick and fungus gone

What do you feed your fish? Hikari Gold pellets, tetrafin flakes, oranges, tiny pieces of hardboiled egg

Any unusual findings on the fish? Such as

"grains of salt", bloody streaks, frayed fins, fungus? None

Any unusual behavior? Like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..? They eat but just stay at the bottom

Well, if your ammonia is high, most likely your nitrites are too.

Your tank has been going for a month so it should soon be cycled. (Check out 'Tank Cycling' article on Koko's home page) It doesn't sound as though your fish have an infection/disease ... yet, it sounds more like ammonia or nitrite poisoning.

Do 30% water changes for a week, then take some water samples to the pet store, they should test for pH, ammonia & nitrites for free. Otherwise I seriously recommend getting a pH and nitrite test kit too.

Rather than use 100% bottled water I would mix it with half tap water or use all tap water. There is a good water conditioner on the market called 'Prime', it removes all the badies in the tap water and neutralises ammonia & nitrites that build up in your tank. Using a product like Prime and daily water changes should get you through this dangerous stage until your tank is fully cycled and safe.

Well, if your ammonia is high, most likely your nitrites are too.

Your tank has been going for a month so it should soon be cycled.  (Check out 'Tank Cycling' article on Koko's home page)  It doesn't sound as though your fish have an infection/disease ... yet, it sounds more like ammonia or nitrite poisoning.

Do 30% water changes for a week, then take some water samples to the pet store, they should test for pH, ammonia & nitrites for free.  Otherwise I seriously recommend getting a pH and nitrite test kit too.

Rather than use 100% bottled water I would mix it with half tap water or use all tap water.  There is a good water conditioner on the market called 'Prime', it removes all the badies in the tap water and neutralises ammonia & nitrites that build up in your tank.  Using a product like Prime and daily water changes should get you through this dangerous stage until your tank is fully cycled and safe.

Okay, I was going to buy an ammonia test kit but it was 10 dollars, thought it was a little steep seeing as that's what i got my filter for and my tank was only 6. the man there gave me a test strip to use and he told me the water is good if its bright yellow. Problem is, it turned a dull green. So I know its bad, I just don't know how bad.

Is it really good to use Tap water? I thought it was real bad and using bottled water was like gold. Okay, i'll try that, and i'll see what's going on, any other suggestions?

Mix your bottled water and tap water together for a few weeks so the fish can get used to it. Do the finger test to check the replacement water is the same temperature as the tank. Sudden temp changes can stress the fish.

Don't forget the Prime.

Archived