Sign in to follow this  
newfie

Zebra Danios

Guest ramtaajogi

i 5 zebra danios w/ my 3 goldfish and they simply ignore one another. at first 1 of my ryukins chase the danios around, but quickly found out the danio speed and now they could be right next to each other and the ryu will simply ignore it. I think alots of plants and driftwood and caves is needed to give the danios a hiding place if harmed. I have a little driftwood cave that only my danios could enter.

i used to have 6 danios with my black moore.

they tend to get to the floating food faster than the moore but she gets her fair share of sinking flake and pellets (which can't fit in the danios mouths)

upon first introduing the moore they were picking on it but that stopped after 5 minutes... i think she got her revenge because one member of the family has gone missing!

LOL

I have had good luck with white cloud mountain minnows with my goldfish.  I have a group of 7 of them in with my 5 goldfish.  The white clouds have never paid any attention to the goldfish, and the goldfish never pay any attention to the white clouds.

266949[/snapback]

same here, i have 1 common and 6 white coulds and they are fine together. the goldie snaps at them a little when its feeding time, only once in a while, i think it mistakes them for food to be honest.

i'm a little worried about the future tho, when goldie gets bigger. you all know the saying, anything that fits into a goldfish's mouth...will!

Tetras are not compatible with goldfish, They are too sensitive and need warmer temos

You are right, Kissy, that tetras would not go well with goldfish, but danios and white clouds do well in lower water temperatures.

The only consideration as others have mentioned is that you should put them with very large goldfish, especially commons, because they could be eaten.

I have a group of white clouds with my bubbles eyes, and as would be expected, my bubble eyes are slow swimmers, so not worry that the white clouds will be dinner :)

I am thinking of getting zebra danios, seen them in a tank with a goldie with no issues. I think they add to the excitement of the tank...fast moving, energetic etc :)

My only concern is with medications. I am used to salting tanks, and using my usual stock of chemicals with goldies...are danios just as hardy, unlike tropical fishes? I won't know how to quarantine danios, figured goldies are more tolerant?

:)

Well, I have had them a few times and they ALWAYS disappear! I am pretty sure the ones that are "getting along" with your goldies will eventually disappear too.

I actually think it is good for the goldies to eat them. I think the chase stimulates them & it's a natural food source.

Edited by Jeana727