Hi All ^-^

David Dude

I finally got my new tank! :rbanana Well actually it's only for a while, because I want a 55 gal. and it's only a 35 gal, but I still like it! My nana told me that her son had a 35 gal that they didn't want anymore so instead of getting me the 100 bucks I got the tank with 2 light fixtures, 2 fluvul filters, and alot of other stuff. It's only been lightly used but the fluval filters don't have the instructions on how to set it up or a picture of all the parts that come with each filter. :( If any one can get me any of those, I'd really appreciate it! :cry1 Now to the other stuff I have a Seachem Neutral PH buffer, a Tetra PH/KH plus buffering compound, a Jungle Natural Colors bottle, and a Kordon Nov-Aqua water conditionor. If anyone recomends these please tell? I'm not sure how exactly many doses I'm supposed to put in my tank, It says it tans the water and makes the fish glow?

I also got a free water hose changer thingy. I'm thinking of putting my common in a 50 gal rubbermaid tub as a permenant housing for it like a pond with a comet, what do you think? I also want to leave the 10 gal. as the quarentine for the 35 gal. this way I can put my 2 orandas an my ryukin in the 30 gal. and then put my butterfly demekin in the 10 gal, what ya think? :yeah:

What's the hardness (KH) and pH of your water? I usually tell people to throw out those "buffering" chemicals, your fish will do much better in steady conditions than they will in ones that are chemically altered all the time. If your fish have been doing fine as they are, don't start dumping chemicals in there to make them "glow". Personally, the only things I add to my tanks are a dechlorinator and plant fertilizer, meds if needed. There's no need to "enhance slime layer" or make the fish "glow"...

Yes the fun of power filters... few things to try are dumping some water in the filter so it doesn't have to suck as hard, unplugging and plugging it back in a few times, jiggling the intake tube around/up and down... you can also take the motor out and see if the impeller needs to be cleaned, sometimes they get grungy and won't work right. Just pay attention to how you take it apart so you put it back together right. Its not hard, just can be confusing the first time you take it out.

Thanks Myaj, I found out what my problem was, first of all the cannister should not have been at water level since I haven't bought the stand yet, second of all I wasn't supposed to fill the cannister with water before starting it, and last I was supposed to siphon the water from the output tube (how was I going to do this if the cannister was at water level :rofl ) there fore the intake tube would suction up the water from the aquarium. I should do a little more research before trying stuff...so dumb :lol: .

doh, was thinking you had a hang on back filter, not a canister.

OH man, tell me about it.

I've had canisters before and just automatically put them under the stand, logical right? But never took the water level thing into consideration.

A few weeks ago, I was testing out a HUGE canister I bought from a friend who had issues with it leaking. I was so incredibly frustrated that I couldn't get it to prime, no matter what I did. Finally figured out I needed to put it on the floor! DUH exactly!! :rofl

Archived