Sign in to follow this  
JessicaandMarshall

Blackie Has A Really Swollen Eye

Ok

44 gal tank. 5 fish (yeah, yeah, one is a baby :redcard )

Been running over a year, aquaclear 300 (biggest powerfilter that will fit on my hood) Weekly gravel vac, amount of water changed depends on how much they pooped, I guess an average of 40%, sometimes more sometimes less.

They eat Hikari Lionhead, and about 3 different brands of sinking sticks, pellets, and floating pellets that I squeeze so they sink. Peas, oranges, lettuce, spinich etc I mix up their food.

No meds or salt in the tank.

Ammonia 0, nitrite 0 nitrate 5ppm. PH above 7.5 but under 8 (my test jumps from 7.5 to 8)

The problem.

Blackie is a large Black Moor. Probably about 6" maybe more. He is STONE blind. His one eye has been grossly, and I mean it's badly swollen for months. I just figured he injured it, but it's not getting better!!

He seems to be having a hard time finding food now. His good eye looks funny too. It looks like the skin is growing over his eye, and covering his eyeball. He has cataracts sp in both eyes.

His swollen eye is HUGE.

I don't know what to do.

I will be moving Blackie OUT of the 44 gallon any day now. Whenever I buy a stand for the new tank. I'm putting my fish that are in the basement rubbermaid into the new tank, and putting my other baby fish that is alone in a 10 gallon into the new tank.

Blackie will be going into the 10 gallon alone. I can heat the 10 gal, and I'll but a aquaclear mini on it, that will be 10x filtration.

What else can I do for him??

Only one eye is swollen, and the other eye has skin actually starting to grow over the eye ball.

I have pictures, and I"ll try to figure out how to put them up on here. I've been having trouble lately because my files are too large.

Thanks a million

Jessica

Hun if you need to send the photos to me. I will help you get them up.....Im worried about your fish and wondering if it is Popeye...... :(

Koko, I'll send them to you right away if this doesn't work. I went to the photo forum and found "webshots" I'm uploaded some pics to them and I'll try to post them myself. That will save you some trouble if it works.

Ok if this works, this is his GOOD eye, you can see the skin starting to grow over it.

199735580QSvyAz_ph.jpg

His swollen eye. I couldn't get a shot with both eyes in it to compare, I tried, and I'll keep trying. But I think that you can tell it's swollen!

199735686YFRHcj_ph.jpg

And he has been floating upright a lot lately. Like straight up and down. Do you suppose this has to do with aligning himself to light. He's blind, but he did react a bit to the camera flash. None of the other fish with good sight react. I think he might have been able to see a bit of the flash!!!

He is not quite vertical in this picture, but you get the point. Also the white on him is on my camera lense not on Blackie!

199735544ILAxFB_ph.jpg

Jessica

I am worried about him too Koko.

He was the first fish I bought when I got my big aquarium that I saved up for.

I had two fish in a 10 gal, and I found "koko's" and Knew I needed a bigger tank. I saved up and the first fish I bought was Blackie. I bought him because he was really skinny, was mostly blind, and had fish lice!!! I love him a lot.

Thanks everyone.

Oh PS he does have a good appetite still. And he is pooping just fine as you can see in the picture :blink: And he can swim normally, but he seems to rest upright.

Whoops he isn't pooing in that picture, well he is in the one I just took.....LOL

Jessica

Edited by JessicaandMarshall

Is that a flash on his eye or is his eye white inside hun?

No it's not the flash. :(

They are actually blue. A really pale blue. The colour of my eyes!! If you see them in person, you can see the blue haze, it's exactly like a cataract that people get. My uncle has an eye like that :(

Here is an old picture Koko. You can see the real colour of his eye in this one. This is his actual colour.

199748096qLKCYx_ph.jpg

Well I can tell you its not Popeye Hun, but it looks like its just some fluids building up some in his eye. the skin that is growing is something that you cant help. I have a fish with the same thing on his eye and its just genetics :(

As with the other eye I would if you can, get him in a cycled tank raise the temp to the 78F then i would add some Epsom salt to the tank one 1/8 of a teaspoon per 5 gals of water. This will help reduce some of the swelling down, and just might do the trick for you :D

Oh thank you Koko!!

I'm going to send Hubby out tomorrow to pick up my new stand, I'm going to add the water from my rubbermaid to the new tank, and use that filter which is established so hopefully the cycle won't crash on that too badly.

The 10 gallon is cycled, and all ready for Blackie, after I move the baby out of that one, I will raise the temp, add the salt and acclimate Blackie.

Do you think that will be ok? The only fish that has been in the 10 gallon has been the baby Whitie. She's been in there since she hatched 10 months ago, and has never been sick or anything.

She is a lot smaller than Blackie, so I'll have to watch that the cycle doesn't crash.

Jessica

It should be fine since shes been in there and the fact your going to add a seeded filter to the tank.

Keep me posted :D

So far, so good.

His eye is still swollen, but he is no longer swimming straight up and down (tail standing).

I took the hood off this tank, and use the lights from the ceiling.

I really think he was trying to align himself to the light. He must be able to see a bit of the light. I guess he's not quite stone blind. He can't see food though. Oh well, at least now he won't have to compete for it.

Jessica