Snail Lying On Back

Guest luvryukin

Guest starsmom

Maybe, maybe not!

Pick him up. Does he "fall out" of his shell? (Dead)

Does he react when you tap on his trap door? (Not Dead)

Does he smell icky? Hard to mistake the smell of a dead snail... (Most DEFINATELY Dead)

Sometimes they can stay in their shells for quite a while, especially if the temperature is low. What is the temp in your tank? I hope he is just resting...

Laura

Guest luvryukin
One of my older snails Russ sleeps like this...let us know how its doing..Linda

Hi:

I took my snail out of the aquarium and put him in a carrier for about ten minutes. He was moving around just fine. I placed him back into the aquarium and he came out of his shell was was roaming around the aquarium as usual. No unusual odor smell. He comes out every now and then. He's definitely not dead. I've just never seen him lye on his back before. Do you think he's sick? I haven't added any unusual chemicals to the aquarium. It makes me nervous to see him lye on his back. Maybe he's playing possum.

Guest starsmom

Snails do weird things sometimes. My female purple just decided to float around the tank for a couple of days, no idea why, had me very worried, she was hanging out of her shell, moving antenna around, just floating. Now she is back to normal!

I also have one (my biggest ivory) who will sit on the tank bottom, with just a little bit of snail sticking out of his trap door, and stay that way for hours. Then he's up and moving again. Just resting I guess.

If he is eating and moving around sometimes I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just watch for excess slime, that's usually a sign that something is wrong.

Glad he is OK!

Laura

Guest luvryukin
Snails do weird things sometimes. My female purple just decided to float around the tank for a couple of days, no idea why, had me very worried, she was hanging out of her shell, moving antenna around, just floating. Now she is back to normal!

I also have one (my biggest ivory) who will sit on the tank bottom, with just a little bit of snail sticking out of his trap door, and stay that way for hours. Then he's up and moving again. Just resting I guess.

If he is eating and moving around sometimes I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just watch for excess slime, that's usually a sign that something is wrong.

Glad he is OK!

Laura

Hi:

Maybe the snail was just resting. The snail seems to be fine now. I was worried as well. Mine's would also peep out of it's door periodically. ;)

Guest luvryukin
Mine do that sometimes... snails always have little tricks to surprise you with. However, my gold died in that position after a mantle collapse.

Hi:

My snail is fine now. Thanks for your concern.

Archived