Just Lost Juju

eather.hey

My bettas just had a fungus out-break. It's all my fault, but let's not get into that. JuJu's was way worse, almost ulcer like and he just died. Fireball's is a little different. His fungus is spread out more like ich, but I know it's not ich. He has little patches all over his body. It started to clear up and the spots around his eyes and mouth had cleared up completely. Then all of the sudden it started to get worse. Fire has more spots on his body and one near his gill is starting too look more furry than cottony. I'm using Bettafix right now and only that. Martinez suggested that I get Jungle Fungus but that will have to wait till tomorrow...they were in 1.5 gallon jars/tanks while I used their 10 gallon as a hospital tank for one of my shubs. Fire is now in the heated, filtered 10 gallon (for about a week now). He's been kinda bloated so I've been barely feeding him till his belly goes down. I've only been feeding peas, blood worms and tubiflex lately because of his bloatedness. The tank is NOT cycled but there is no ammonia or nitrites yet b/c he's not getting fed very much. I've been keeping a very close eye on the params b/c I know it needs to cycle.

Should I switch to the Jungle fungus? What about a salt dip?

Thanks guys!

Guest abby'smom

Oh, I'm sorry. :cry1

I know epsoms salt is good for bloatedness and contipation but I don't know anything about the fungus.

I don't know, I'm really no help here I'm sorry. I wish you the best of luck though. :heart Erin

I'm sorry about Juju.... :cry1 I'll tell ya, normally salt isn't recommended for betta's but when my boy "Morpheous was looking like death---(horrible case of ick-then his fins were 2/3rds gone,and he started laying like he was ready to go) i was talking to Erika who was having similar probs. Her betta was looking so bad that she decided to take Drastic measurements ,and go for the salt dip,He did so well from it that we were both in shock! I knew my Morph had a good chance of dying either way,so Erika talked to me ,gave me her dosage use,and I threw cautions to the winds. I went to bed in the wee hours of the morn.,got up the next day,and was shocked with what I saw. Morph's ick was all but 2 spots gone,and where his fins had rotted,it had a clean smooth edge like the salt ate it down to the good part. Morph never looked back,he continued to improve more and more.. You have had fish off and on for alot of years---you can tell when someone's not going to make it. If you think Fire's on his way out do what you have to do,that's all. If you know he's ready to die,at least you can say that you made all attempts-ya know? If you're nervous about the salt dip,you can even try what the salt says for normal use.....1Tbs.per 5 gal? Start with that.. He's in a ten---try the dose for a 5 gal.-See how he responds to it.If he seems ok-go to the next dose,etc.. Remember,I'm only giving you last ditch attempts.-I don't normally use salt on my bettas. This is just what finally worked for me and saved Morph's life...Finger's are crossed -hope Fire pulls through.

I dipped Fireball today in about 1/2 the dosage that I'd dip a goldie. He did the "float to the top thing" right away which scared the crap out of me. I left him in there for about a minute, that's all I could take.

I just got home from work...as I was walking tword the tank I could see him on the bottom (sitting on a moss ball) I thought, "oh no, he didn't make it." But, as soon as I leaned over to look at him, he swam up to the top and gave me that, "feed me" look. His biggest patch, the furry/fuzzy one has actually fallen off. He still has the tiny marks all over his body, but the worst looks gone. So far he has no ulcers that I can see. He's much darker than Juju, so I'm hoping I'm not missing anything.

I'm gonna switch to another medicine tomorrow. I have to do a water change anyway and that Bettafix is just too hard to use in a 10 gallon tank.

Wish us luck!

Nah, never got a chance to make it to the LFS. He was doing better, but today he's just sort of hanging out up top. The worst fungus spots haven't come back. I'm still using that Bettafix. I have enough for about 1 more dose.

Thanks for asking!

Hey woman.

Yep, I don't know what the deal is,,, you and Devs and me all have the same stuff happen to our fish at the same time.... Jupiter has fungus too. It started as a black fungus which is weird, but now it's been white, and localized to the tips of his fins. He's not doing real well, but he's got some fight left in him. Poor fish is blind from age, and now this. I've been treating him wtih JFE, and salt dips, daily. One teaspoon to one cup water. I've got my fingers and toes crossed for ya, you do the same for me. Take care......

E

Heather? How is he?? I lost Jupiter at about 2 am..... poor guy's in peace now I guess. I hate looking to where his tank use to be though. :cry1

:cry1 Erika,I'm so sorry to hear that especially with all that he's been through. I know you,so I know that you did everything in your powers to help him. :heart

Archived