Urgent! Need Help!please!

David Dude

:( My demekin has reallly bad sbd. yesterday I saw him gasping for air at the surface because I hadn't turned on the air pump! Today in the evening I saw him swimming really fast at the surface a bit sideways and I didn't think much of it, :blink: but now he can't get down to the bottom of the tank! He paddles with his little fins until he's exausted and flouts right back up to the surface.He tries so hard sometimes that he flips over and his tummy is at the surface of the water flouting around and he can't turn right side up!,I have to help him turn over :cry1 I'm feeding him peas, he's barely ate 4 thawed out peas, how many should I give him tommorow, in the morning(i feed him 2 times a day)? I'm so stupid :angry: I never soak his bioblend wafers or his progold pellets! :( Please help?

hi david dude

can you test the water? knowing the ph,nitrates,ammonia,and nitrites might help as having high nitrates makes some fish a bit floaty.

as for the peas i boil mine in the microwave for 4 minutes with some water and then i shell them and mush them up when they are cool.

i try not to give my fantail any flakes as this makes him worse but its hard when i have other fish to feed. when i give flakes that are pre soaked i hold him in a net and release him when im finished so he can grub around on the bottom for any leftovers and it has improved him. i feed him bloodworms and presoaked tubifex.

in the short term you could try starving your fish for a couple of days to see if this helps as too much gas from the foods can make them float. have you noticed him poo recently and what did it look like?

I agree - it is important for you to test all the parameters of your water that you can.

Four peas is quite a number of peas for a fish - unless he is a really big bruiser. I think I would try feeding him a couple in the morning and a couple in the evening next time - spread them out a little.

WAter quality and parasites are the most common reason for this type of behavior. Please let us help you if we can. :)

Ok, here's my water params:

I got 7.2 ph

I have 0 amonia

I have 0nitrite

I ran out of nitrate tester, sorry

I have a fully cycled tank

He's in a tub with my beta and snail(I made a tank divider so my beta is on the other side of the divider)

I have a penguin 330 with a fully colonized bio-wheel bacteria and I upgraded it with a supreme space for the bacteria to gorw in(marble case with sponge in it behind the filter cartridge adds a load! of good bacteria!)

Guess what :rolleyes: I woke up this morning to see how he was doing and he's right side up and less bloated :heart ! I think it was the peas( yes I do thaw them out and peel them)I fed him last night(4 peas). Just incase today I fed him soaked progold pellet's with a mix of peas and he loved it! :feedme

Oh, it's been 9 days since I have changed the 25% water because my water last's up to two weeks now with the increase in bacteria(I used to change my water every week and the filter cartridge) and my filter cartridge hasn't given me the sign that says it's clogged yet :)

glad he is doing better. Maybe it would be a good idea to not feed him for a day or two, it'll give his sysetem time to clean out, then after the second day, feed him peas again.

good luck :)

Archived