Goldfish Color

David Dude

I have a question :rolleyes: , If you want a goldfish to have a dark color, closer to black, what area would you put it in, a sunny, dark, or half and half? If you wanted your goldfish to have a lighter color, closer to white, what area would you put it in, a sunny, dark, or half and half. My butterfly demekin used to be black but now he's turned into a red and white color and my ryukin was a deep red color but now it's turned yellowish. I wanted to know what area of my house would I put my fish in to recuperate their dark color :lol1

Sorry to tell you they may never turn back to the color you want.

Some things you may or may not know, black is the most unstable color so unless the fish is genetically predisposed to being that color it will turn to orange, or white as it gets older. Some people have said that having them in the sun (pond) helps this. But once again genetics play a huge roll.

Also foods will enhance their colors as well so you may want to look into that. Mostly they turn the orange brighter orange. Like if you have a white fish, if you feed it this food, it'll help to turn it orange.

Good luck.

Ranchugirl once told me that when fish get more sun (like in a pond) they seem to have richer colors. I also just posted that after feeding my fish Progold, my calico oranda seems to be getting his black back that he was losing. (www.goldfishconnection.com)

Like Laurie said, black is hard to keep!

• Admin

The big part of goldfish changing color is Genetics. There diet will also effect them depending on what your feeding them, foods high in Carotene will change them to the gold color. Then there is the water quality issues like pH, water temperature, mineral content of the water.

If anyone could ever figure out how to keep them black would be the miracle worker :yikes

Full sunlight is the best thing as far as keeping their colors deep and rich. It wont replace lost black but it will turn oranges to reds. All the brightly colored fish you see in the pet stores are raised in outdoor ponds. Once theyre kept inside they fade. Ive lived in apartments for years with no direct sun and all my fish have faded.

When I first got my comet, he was orange with a black stripe going down his back. Well now he is all orange. Over time it faded, and is completly gone. He is now a beautiful bright orange. He's still the same fish and I love him all the same. i miss the black sometimes, but oh well. I also have a red cap oranda, and she is now beginning to turn orange! Over the period of a month I am noticing alot of orange slowly creep down her back. Its kinda cool looking. My shubunkin has also lost alot of his orange, and it turning bluish black. VERY pretty! I noticed with a better quality light, my fish seem to stay very bright and dont loose their colors as easily. Also, look into the color enhancing foods. It can help alot bring out their colors!

:heart Good Luck and hope this helps!

Archived