Discouraging Color Change

Athena

Guest starsmom

I have never heard of a red cap oranda turning from white to orange. What I have heard of is the red cap turning pale (due to lack of sunlight?). I feed my redcap "color-enhancing" food, and her body is still pearly white. Any particular reason you are worried about them changing color?

Laura

I don't know. Just lots of goldfish change colours over time. I've heard that certain foods containing beta-carotene can enhance gold or orange colour. I've never had white goldfish so I'd like to keep it that way! :lol:

White fish can get a yellowish coloration from color enhancers I've heard, though I can't tell you from experience since I don't have any fish with much white. Things like carotenes, red bell peppers, carrots, plankton are color enhancers. Probably any food with a yellow or orange coloring has carotenes in it, since they cause that color, and the brighter it is, the more is in it. I'm sure someone else will have a longer list of color enhancers! :)

A few of my fish have changed colors due to the color enhancing foods i feed them.... but not my Red Cap Oranda... He is all white with a red cap, no red anyewhere else... I would only think that yours would change colors if he had red in other areas as well... :)

Archived