Sign in to follow this  
Guest podded_pea

Do Goldfish Eat Slugs?

Guest podded_pea

ew.... :huh: *shudder*... I just wanted to know really... I have a garden full of the blighters..and I currently rely on just one frog... they dont look yummy but are they even safe for gf in the first place?

I called the university extension and they say that slugs are for all intents and purposes simply snails without shells. They have almost all the same characteristics. The land slug has a far thicker and sticky-er slime coat than an aquatic snail. This slime coat is considered to be quite unappetizing to most predatory creatures. There are not many creatures that will eat a slug.

The extention services helper did not think that fish would eat slugs. He said they did not make good bait, nor will most lake fish eat them. I will assume that means that they are not good goldie food either.

We have huge slugs that get in the cat food dishes every night. They are so nasty and slimey - the slime does not wash off your fingers when you pick them out. Ewwwwwwwwwhhhh! :lol:

Guest podded_pea

oo thanks for ringing the experts :D

Its such a shame they arent suitable I would have so much free food in my garden ;) and oddly enuf in my cat dishes too!!!! euch.... *shudder*

:o Slugs are so disgusting!!!!! Everything about them,from their looks,to the slime trail that they leave everywhere they go!!!!UGH!!!!!!! No way would I even want to have to deal with them-even if the goldies would eat them. YUCK!!!!! :ill

Guest laserblast

Slugs aren't that bad, yeesh! I actually have a few in my terrarium and they're pretty interesting. I love how their antennae-like eyeballs are always swooping around. Hilarious!

I think they are cute in a sluggish sort of way, but the slimey, sticky goo that they get all over is the nastiest stuff - you cannot wash it off, wipe it off or ANYTHING. You have been SLIMED! ewwwwwwwwwh .....

:lol: In second grade my teacher kept slugs as a class pet, I always thought that they were kind of intresting, though their terrarium smelled horrible. :blink:

Yesterday evening I watched one of my grey orf jumping out of the water to try to catch a slug at the pond edge. The slug managed to escape, probably a bit too slippery for the fish to get hold of it but it made several attempts - clearly deliberate. I've never come across this before, amazing! :goldfish:

15 hours ago, Ian said:

Yesterday evening I watched one of my grey orf jumping out of the water to try to catch a slug at the pond edge. The slug managed to escape, probably a bit too slippery for the fish to get hold of it but it made several attempts - clearly deliberate. I've never come across this before, amazing! :goldfish:

:teehee